Night shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:40 PM   #1
Jordi-San

Night shooting

Does any one have any good tips for shooting night scenes (i.e. poorly lit street at night, night indoor shooting, etc). I find the noise/grain when shooting under low light conditions with the XL1s to be pretty bad. How dow you achieve those clear and crisp (yet dark) night shots that you see in movies? are they possible with the xl1s?

I've experimented somewhat with different light sources (different gels, distance, wattage, etc) but was not pleased with the results (I probably didn't do it right).
Old October 2nd, 2002, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,
Did a shoot this summer under orange street lights, yuk! We used a blue shirt to white balance( not dark blue but the blue color of sheets). Skin tones , the most important to me, turned out pretty natural looking. Try the gain to -3 might help the grain.

Hollywood usually uses powerful lights covered with blue gels, that color (blue) often denotes a night time scenario.

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:07 PM   #3
Jordi-San

Hey Bruce,

What do you mean by using a "blue shirt" (a blue filter?).

Thanks for your suggestions (I love how there's always someone with an answer to your questions in this forum).

Jordi
Old October 2nd, 2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm speculating that Bruce means he used a real blue shirt...you know, with arms and a collar. White balancing can be done on colors other than white if you want to adapt to other color conditions. You can lie to the camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 09:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Jordi-san,

Ken-san is correct, I mean blue like in a light blue button down dress Oxford dress business shirt. Daytime clear blue sky

BTW if you point your camera toward the clear daytime blue sky and white balance for daylike , your video vill have a golden hue.

Wakarimasu-ka?

Bruce
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:51 PM   #6
Jordi-San

so so...arigato.

I'll give that a go and see how it turns out. I'll let you know the outcome (to see if I get the results I'm looking for).

Thanks again
Old October 3rd, 2002, 02:52 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

One thing I noticed that usually you can have your scenes a lot
darker than you think when looking through the viewfinder and
builtin light meter. A good monitor is very handy. Then you can
actually see what you get, which is usually brighter than you
thought. I once shot the moon at +12 db because I thought I
needed that. It turned out I didn't. Because the moon was
relatively small the builtin lightmeter that it saw almost nothing.
When I watched the footage back on a TV it was almost too
bright! I'm planning to shoot some more moon footage lateron
(for fun and learning) and I plan to have a monitor or something
with me to assess the image a bit better!

Btw, you might try getting a few huge worklights (halogen 500
or more watt?) from those construction markets (or what are
they called?) to flood the street with more light.

Perhaps you'll find this article interesting:
http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article.cfm?id=9036

Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 09:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Re: Night shooting

<<<-- Originally posted by Jordi-San : I find the noise/grain when shooting under low light conditions with the XL1s to be pretty bad. How dow you achieve those clear and crisp (yet dark) night shots that you see in movies? are they possible with the xl1s?

No one seems to have addressed this part of the question specifically...
I would also be interested in the answer. Can you intentionally underexpose (subject moving in and out of dark shadow, for example) at 0db gain and expect noise free blacks? I haven't achieved it yet with my GL2, but I am very new. I know there are tweaks (sharpness, etc) but all other things being equal, what are DV cameras of this quality capable of?
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

I sorta answered it indirectly.... I'd stay at 0 or -3 db... .add light,
instead of noise.... And as I said above. Sometimes things can
be a lot lighter than you see through your viewfinder. Expirement.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

October DV mag

I glanced at the October issue of DV. It looks like there is an article on night shooting. May be some good advise for 5.99...

My .02

WG
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #11
Jordi-San

Bruce-san,

playing with the white balance and the light blue fabric worked under the orange street lights, but I'm still getting way too much noise. Reducing the gain to -3db helped somewhat but it also made the scene too dark to be able to recognize detail (I was forced to reduce the shutter speed to 1/15).

Any ideas to get a sharper low-light scene? anyone?

WG, I'll make sure to check out the article in DV...hopefully it will have some good pointers. thx
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #12
Major Player

In my many years of film photography I have seen many wonders. The public has been put into a mind set as to what to expect on the silver screen. So the film manufaturers and labs have worked very close together and given us some really neet products and greatly improved the capabilities of their products.
They have increased the speed of their film( it's ability to record an image on the emulsion) increased the detail (reduced it's graininess) and mastered how to "push" and "pull" film.
It is my observation that video tape manufacturers do not have the latitude(s) in the video medium (tape) as does the film industry.
The film industry is over 100 years old, video 25+ maybe. In time there will be an explosion that will surpass film and film will go the way of glass plate photography.

At this point I believe you are limited by a tapes capability and must suffer like the rest of us till you can buy different speed tapes like you can film ( I bet you the military has them now!)

Everyone has the same problem, we see it on film, those low light level shots and say " why can't I do that or why doesn't it look just like the movies do?" Till then we just have to do our very best. The public bought "Blair Whitch", I 'll bet you could produce better with your lens cap on the lens and your camera turned off

Just my opinion
(please excuse any typos, had cataract surgery 3 days ago)
Bruce
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #13
Warden

Just for reference, 2 inch Quad Video was commercially released in 1971 (I think) but other similar formats were in use in the late '60's. They were never released for commercial use. When I first got started in video I edited 2 inch tape. It was done like film. It was cut with a blade and bonded back together.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #14
Warden

I'll correct myself, 2 inch machines came out in 1966. Ampex had working units sold for broadcast in 1956. The first video broadcast was November 30, 1956. Douglas Edwards and the News, CBS.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:26 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm not sure but wasn't Kinescope a form of video?
Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion