ASpect ratio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 3rd, 2002, 07:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ASpect ratio

Can someone explain to me this ratio? I shoot with an xl-1. In what aspect ratio am I capturing?
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 10:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That depends...

That depends on your setup.

The XL1 shoots both 4:3 ('standard' video aspect... like on your square television) and 16:9 ('wide' aspect like on your rectangular television).

With the XL1 you also have the option of various optical anamorphic (wide) adapters, you lucky dog.

Aspect ratio in general defines the relationship between the X and Y axes of the image; the ratio of width to height.
So a screen 4" wide and 3" high would have an aspect of 4:3, as would a screen 20" high and 15" wide.

Hope this helps.

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 11:16 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

I got one related to this: What's the deal with the 3 numbered ratios: 2:33:5 or something like that (I know that's not real world example).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you mean numbers like 4:1:1, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, etc, these refer to the sampling rates emplyoyed by different formats.

[I'm deleteing the rest of this post as I was wildly missing the point and generally taking up space -lyd]

lyd
Old October 3rd, 2002, 12:16 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

No sir. . .had no idea about the sample rates. I just thought I seen people write "This was shot in 2:4:5 or something like that. Mabye not. Probably not.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 01:10 PM   #6
Warden

Josh,

Those are film size aspect ratios, like 2.35:1 or 1.66:1. this site has some simple examples http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

1.33:1

Yes, that is what I was wondering about. Thanks Josh for steering this conversation more in the course I had intended.
Jeff. I went to that site. Is Mini-Dv 1.33:1? It seems like (I asked about this awhile ago) TV safe area, 4x3, cuts off some of the image...
Thanks.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM   #8
Warden

Yes, 1.33:1 is 4:3 ratio, same as NTSC video. Consumer TV sets generally do not display the entire picture. They overscan the image (part of the picture is blocked by the cabnet) as per the NTSC specifications. Early CRT's had quite a curve to them due to manufacturing limitations. The cabnets hid flaws in the CRT. Today, TV sets still overscan and cut off part of the image. Because the spec has some leeway some TV's cut off more of the image than others, but remain in spec. There is nothing you can do except follow safe title and safe action guides.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ah-ha.

I see... sorry for flying off in the wrong direction. I got excited thinking I might have somthing to contribute. I should have known better. :)

So, is there any historical reason why film uses the unit ratio while television uses the the ratio expressed as integers?

4:3 seems alot more intuitive to me than 1.33:1

lyd
Old October 3rd, 2002, 03:59 PM   #10
Warden

No problem, lyd. I can see you've been to Adam Wilt's site (and it has paid off). If I had to guess I'd say it's tradition. Film has always been referred to in that manner. It might also help deferentiate film and video (video is always whole number 16:9, 4:3).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion