Recommendations needed for handycam in the US$1300 area at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Trustee

Recommendations needed for handycam in the US$1300 area

Hey all. A friend's work is buying her a video camera for a leaving present, and she asked me if the GS400 was OK? So I'm assuming thats her price bracket (NZ$2k). Can you guys give me some suggestions to give her on cams in that range and why one's better than the other? I know nothing about the lower end cams so have no idea.

Also, in case she's priced a bit high, if I drop down a price bracket to say $US1000 what's a good one?

Cheers
Aaron
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Aaron, I don't have my Panasonic GS400 yet but I have done mega research on it and it is definitely the camcorder that I am getting. Packed with features, it is simple enough to use for the novice, yet ambitious enough for beyond just home movies. Be sure to look in this forum under the panasonic GS series. Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
There is also a link to view or copy the owners manual.
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS400.P
I think that you need adobe reader to view it. It sells for just under $1400.00.
There are other good cameras in this price range of course but my research has always brought me back to this camcorder. Wait for more posts from more DVinfo net members to learn about other cameras. The GS250 may be another option.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't own a GS400, but was doing research a while back and that would be my first choice. Biggest downside might be low-light performance, but it gets excellent reviews overall and that 4MP still camera is a nice plus for a personal camcorder.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My nephew has the GS400 and for it's price it's a very decent camcorder, really.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks all! I've told her to get that cam if she can so she's looking to do just that.

Thanks for the advice
Aaron
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #6
New Boot

GS400 in NZ

Hi Aaron

I bought a GS400 in NZ and am really happy with it.
I planned to buy it through one of the parallel import stores however Bond and Bond have a price matching guarantee so you get NZ warrantee.

Cheers
Mark
Mark Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Trustee

Mark, that's good news, I'll tell her about that. What was the price you got it for in the end if you don't mind me asking and who did they match? That way she can try and get that price matching guarantee too..

Cheers
Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion