XDCAM 510p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM 510p

I need to shoot a production and the producer asked me to use a better camera than my dvx100. We cannot afford to rent a digiBeta and we need to edit the footage on a standard PC.

So as far as i have read, my best option is to rent an XDCAM 510p since i need Progressive scan, it has interchangable lenses, 2/3 CCDs and real 16.9.

However i am afraid of the recording format. It sounds great. 23 Gb discs that record files that are easily transfer to a PC. The 510 records on DVCAM whichis enough i think for me. Would i see an increase in quality recording with the 530 MPEG IMX? What software will i need?

I want to edit in Vegas.PD150 DV files work good in it. Will this XDCAM files work good too?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I don't think Vegas can work with that kind of footage. You will
probably need something like FCP (Mac) or Avid (both platforms).

I could be wrong, however....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
New Boot

XDCAM and Mac

I have a 510 XDCAM and FCP will not read nothing.It is my understanding
Sony is working with Apple to fix this problem however for now I have to play full 80 min with out the use of the Quick clip * sec load time no firewire on 510 or 530.
Hope this makes sense.
There is a wealth of info at xdcam.com.au
This is a fine site enjoy.
The XDCAM is top of the line and you will not go wrong buying one.
Jimmy
Old April 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well. I can read this:

"The Sony disc system requires a deck for playback, although you can get SDI out the camera (option) or DVCAM from the firewire connection".

So there should be no problem capturing footage on any standard PC. Also, on the brochure, the pictures show everytime people conecting the camera to a laptop...
Old April 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #5
New Boot

XDCAM510P

Yes you can use firewire. The laptops are Sony Xpri and are compatable for a hefty Price. You need to go to xdcam.com.au this site tells all.....Ask them they are tops on all XDCAM topics.
Jimmy
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Contributor

> 23 Gb discs that record files that are easily transfer to a PC

Well "easily" needs to somehow be placed in future tense.

Sony has promised a firmware update so the discs will be mountable as volumes through the cam's Firewire interface. As far as I know, this has not happened yet, but I may be wrong. Ask your rep about it and they may have some info, a beta release or something. They will want to help with this since it will probably determine whether you buy the cam or not. Even if it's not the case, make them THINK it is. They'll trip over each other trying to get it to work for you.

Once this works, the video files should be diretly readable from a Mac or PC with software that can read DV or MPEG IMX. The latter could give you an edge if you are doing a lot of post processing, but will of course increase the time needed in post.

Anyway, while Sony get's their filesystem act together, you can use SDI, but for that you will need an AJA or similar interface to go SDI into the computer. Not cheap.

Have you considered or tried HDV?
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes i though about it, but the sony miniDV camera is not as professional as i need (optics, big CCDs...) and it does not record on progressive. right?
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #8
Contributor

Well actually because it has such a high res, it does an equivalent of 480p in SD mode, and the Z1 can write that in DVCAM. It has a great built-in Zeiss lens which goes quite wide. There is no way it will be as good in low light as the 510p though. If sensitivity is a big issue for you in this project then of course you need a camera with large sensors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion