magnetic interference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 24th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

magnetic interference

my new tv is suffering from magnetic intereference from my speakers. the most practical solution i found was to use a bucking magnet on the tv and not the speakers. everything is fine now, i'm just wondering maybe this can cause long term damage to the set?

thanks.
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I would just get the proper speakers (onces who are magnetically shielded).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Maaaaaybe not long term. Most sets these days automatically deguass when you power them on.

It's best to either increase the distance from the speakers to the TV set, or like the other post stated- simply get shielded speakers.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i'm using jbl lsr 28p's. for the price i would suppose that they're shielded. and if they're not i can't afford to replace them coz i set up 5.1. moving them further is not an option because of space.

i also suspect its my new tv stand i think which is magnetically charged which is made from angle bars. coz my older tv was that up close to the speakers and there weren't any problems.

i taped a small magnet under the tv to counteract wherever that charge was coming from. so is this an ok workaround? meaning safe for the tv? coz all the discoloration is gone.

thanks.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Once you re-arrange everything the TV might be magnetized a certain way. If it looks wrong, the TV will degauss itself every time you turn it on and the problem should go away (at most it'll take a few days because the degaussing circuit isn't that strong).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks glenn. but what i really want to find out is if what i did is ok for my set- taping a magnet under it? its around a 1.5" speaker magnet.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I don't think there'll be damage. The manual should probably mention all the bad things you can do to your TV... I don't think magnets will pernamently damage your TV set.

But I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #8
Major Player

You could try degaussing the stand. If you can still buy bulk tape degaussers get one of those and move it all along all the parts of the stand. Before doing this you might want to check that it is indeed the stand that is responsible by placing the TV in the same position on planks and cinderblocks and checking to see if the problem is gone.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks everyone. i'm pretty happy with the magnet solution because the 32in 16x9 tv is really heavy takes 4 of us to move the thing. dunno where to get a degausser locally either. if it does do damage in the long term, i suppose it's ok coz i got the tv for only $200
Mo Zee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion