How Can I Create A Rain Scene? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 8th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How Can I Create A Rain Scene?

Not sure if this is the right place or even the right website, but I have hopes to have a scene, either a battle scene or romance scene in rain. How can I do that? Do I just need a waterproof cover for the camera? How do I light it?
Drew Meinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

A custom rain cover or a splash bag makes things easier, but you can simply use a good quality plastic bag over the camera. Tape the edges to the sunshade or mattebox. Leave some ventilation at the bottom to avoid too much humidity buildup in the camera.

Rain reads best when backlit, particularly from two directions.
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

A battles scene, would of course, require enough rain to cover the field, so you are talking about real rain, and all the problems with working in it. Avoid it if possible.

For your smaller scenes, a lot can be accomplished with wet pavement, and a couple of rain hoses, one in the foreground, one in the background, and your talent then stands between them. They are actually not getting too wet, and you are looking through a curtain of rain. Additionally, there are some excellent rain fx in various programs. Boris I think has a good one, do a search.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion