How do you handle footage shot with a somewhat smudgy or dirty lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you handle footage shot with a somewhat smudgy or dirty lens?

When I played the footage on the TV, You really have to look hard to see it. On the PC however you can see them better (though I don't want to see it). Is it because of the TV being a bit darker in brightness. If so do i darken the footage. Any suggestions. I need this footage and it would be hard to reshoot.
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Major Player

How I Handle Footage Shot With a Dirty Lens

I would re-record over it and salvage the tape. Unless it was footage of Bigfoot or a Tasmanian Wolf, barely viewable video wouldn't have much use to me. You could always re-stage the action with actors, greenscreen and multi-layered editing.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:28 AM   #3
Major Player

I've got some footage that had a lot of camera shake and dirt on the lens (my wife's uncle shot it). I applied Deshaker in VirtualDub and now the image is wonderfully stable, but the dirt spots shake around madly! I tried getting rid of it by dubbing another part of the screen into that area. It worked on a couple of clips where the dirt was in an area of the sky that was empty, but on most of the clips I was stuck with the dirt spots.

If it's an area of empty sky or ground, you might try copying a similar area of the screen into that spot. If there is anything moving across that area though you'll be stuck with it. Live with it and be more careful in the future.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Photoshopping

I heard you can photo shop the images frame by frame. It's not for all of the footage but for some.
James A. Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion