Separating good work from great work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Separating good work from great work

OK here's a question for all of you.
In your opinion, what one factor (or group of factors) separates good work from great work in each category? Producing, videography, editing, whatever, all the areas.
What are the factors that go into being excellent, or outstanding?
Looking forward to what people have to say regarding this.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

Well I am by no means an expert, as I am still learning after 15 years of working and enjoying this type of work.. But to me maybe the single most important thing besides all the technical aspects, lighting,editing,sound etc.. is storytelling.. the ability to capture the viewers attention and being able to
structure,pace and communicate a story which grabs their attention and draws them in to your creation..If you can learn how to tell a good story in this medium.. Then you will be able to achieve greatness..

Mike Moncrief
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moncrief
Hello,

storytelling.. the ability to capture the viewers attention and being able to
structure,pace and communicate a story which grabs their attention and draws them in to your creation..If you can learn how to tell a good story in this medium.. Then you will be able to achieve greatness..
I agree...
What do you believe separates superior storytelling from average storytelling? What are the actual elements that make it possible to grab someone's attention, draw them in, etc? Visual or otherwise
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith
I agree...
What do you believe separates superior storytelling from average storytelling? What are the actual elements that make it possible to grab someone's attention, draw them in, etc? Visual or otherwise

Well having a really good script or idea to start out helps immensely..Oh and so many other things..Great vision during production to have the ability to visualize all the shots, and to capture the shots you visualized, and to be able to rise above all the problems,setbacks,distractions etc.. and to keep the story itself on track and true to the vision..The ability to find good actors and to be able to work with them and get them to do their best work..
I think great editing skill are required to "see the story" and to leave the fat on the cutting floor(regardless of how much you just love that shot) are necessary.. But again it always goes back to the story, and being able to flow the story in a simple,meaningful and transparent way.. It is really a gift..

Mike Moncrief
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm reading a really good book on storytelling right now, Robert Mckee's "Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting." It's a serious book, not one of those "how to write a script in 7 days" formula sort of things. I guess he also does seminars:
http://mckeestory.com/

When McKee gets too heavy I would suggest "On Directing Film" by David Mamet as an antidote. Just dont let any actors know you've read it :)
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Bill:

Mamet is great. I just overdosed on some of his stuff this past week. What a great actor's director and dialog writer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion