DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Solutions for YPbPr capture to MBP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/466592-solutions-ypbpr-capture-mbp.html)

Christopher Edmonds October 27th, 2009 02:37 PM

Solutions for YPbPr capture to MBP

Hi - I have the following situation:

Betacam SP tapes, need to ingest to FCP on a MBP

The tapes are old and we would like to get the highest quality capture we can, thus we are looking for a YPbPr instead of a composite or S-video solution. We'd also like to capture to uncompressed QuickTime files if possible, ideally 10-bit 4:2:2.

Based on my research, it seems as if the only solution for this is the Aja IO series, starting with the IO LA.

Am I missing any other manufacturers or solutions?

I'm in Jamaica, and so far have not uncovered a post house that can do this for me (BetaSP decks exist, but no one has the rest of the workflow, which is a bit mind-boggling to me)

thanx for any advice

Marcello Mazzilli October 27th, 2009 03:50 PM

Blackmagic Design's Intensity Pro will do this.. up to HD resolutions. You'll need very fast disks.. possibly a Raid of some kind because Blackmagic's codec is a sort of non-compressed one. Price is low.. 199$ and works fine

Christopher Edmonds October 27th, 2009 04:12 PM

Thanks - it needs to be a FW, USB or ExpressCard/34 solution though, as the target is a MacBook Pro (MBP)

Marcello Mazzilli October 27th, 2009 04:18 PM

I see... This is an alternative...
ADVC700

Christopher Edmonds October 27th, 2009 04:45 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this converts to a DV stream right?

Trying to avoid any compression in the process (the footage is all very short lengths, so disk space is not an issue)

Marcello Mazzilli October 27th, 2009 04:49 PM

Yes.. If you come from Beta SP it will be fine.
Anyway if you look on the web there are other solutions.. still. in the Mac World .. AJA is a good solution.
M

Marcello Mazzilli October 28th, 2009 04:18 PM

Also check this... HDMI and Analog I/O for Mac and PC - Matrox MXO2 Mini some guy posted it today on another thread and says works fine

Shaun Roemich November 6th, 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli (Post 1438748)
Yes.. If you come from Beta SP it will be fine.

For the record, in MY opinion, DV/DVCam is a MASSIVE quality hit coming from good quality, well shot BetaSP masters.

Andrew Dean November 10th, 2009 04:39 PM

I dont have firsthand experience yet, but the matrox mx02 and mx02 mini look mighty promising. MX02 (non-mini) is a pretty versatile beast for U.S. $1500 and looks like it will not only capture your uncompressed SD from the betasp, but HD as well. Add a monitor and it should make FCP editing a lot snazzier as well.

Jason Lowe December 17th, 2009 02:50 PM

I read that the MX02 Mini will capture analog SD footage and "upconvert" it to HD with pillarboxing. Can it also capture/convert analog SD footage to straight SD video? Would like to make some standard 4:3 DVDs with my old analog footage that I won't be mixing with HD stuff. Would like to not have to drag this box and the canopus firewire converter around too.