"60 Minutes" opening credits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1
New Boot

"60 Minutes" opening credits

I need to simulate the opening to 60 Minutes as it is in this video. Does anyone know the most efficient way to do this? I'd like to do it in FCP if possible. It doesn't have to be three dimensional. I have green screen footage I'd like to put "in" the magazine. Thanks.

YouTube - 60 minutes Opener
Paul Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
New Boot

what i would do is create the graphic in photoshop with an empty hole where you want window to be.

put this psd on the timeline over top of the movie clip you are playing

unless you are talking about the very begining where the frame 'settles down' onto the back ground, then all you would need to do is put animate the footage, and animate the drop shadow so it lessens as it gets closer to the background

hope that helps
Brian MacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Brian.

Does this make sense?:

If I create the "mag" in PS, then I can bring the mag into FCP and stack vid tracks with a matte on the bottom, my footage in the middle and the graphic on top, then I could animate the drop shadow of the mag. The trick with this method seems to be cropping my footage to match perfectly the mag size, and then spin them in perfect synchronization with one another.

Maybe... ?
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Trustee

There are easier ways to do it if you have After Effects, but in an NLE you have it sussed. The tricky bit in your workflow is to get the movement of the overlay and the footage exactly the same. If there's a way to copy and paste the movement characteristics from one clip to the other, that might be the simplest. I do not have experience on FCP so I don't know if it is possible. You can do it in PP.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, Tripp. I have AE but I'm really under the gun for timing, and I'm nervous about the conversions going to and from AE. This sort of thing has held me up before and I can't really afford it now.

I'm working on the image in PS with an "empty" center (with text) so that I can match my stopwatch and other footage.

But how would you do it (generally...) in AE? I might wind up there if my current plan doesn't work...

Thanks
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Major Player

a simpler option

If your goal is the subtle magazine edges, then yes, a photoshop mask is ideal. If you just want an approximation of the look, then this is super simple in fcp.

Make a new sequence. Edit together the footage you want to go into the magazine face (you probably already have it edited in your project timeline, so just copy/paste it into the new sequence). If you want text or a logo over the window, then while visualizing approximately where you'll want the magazine edges, place a graphic or text and spread it over the entire sequence. (you can move it around later if you need to)

Drop the new sequence into your project sequence. cntrl-click it on your timeline and choose "open in viewer" from the popup.

Click on the "motion" Tab.

You can now adjust the "crop" functions to create your "window". Click on the "drop shadow" box down below and you have your drop shadow. Plus, you can also use the rotate function to animate the rotation like in the beginning of the youtube video you linked.

You can put whatever background you want behind the window. Looks like 60 minutes uses a grey pictures with some lighting effects on it.

You dont *have* to use a nested sequence, but it gives you more control if you wanted the piece rotating. Plus, you can scale and move around the images to fit the window if you like without worrying about the window size jumping around cut to cut.

If you want something fancier, just holler. You can still do track mattes and such in fcp. Just that the above method is super easy and sounds like it might do what you described.

cheers!
-andrew

Come to think of it, you can also set or animate the "distort" corners in the same motion tab if you wanted a less boxy look.

Last edited by Andrew Dean; November 10th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #7
New Boot

Wow, Andrew... This is just what I was looking for! Thank you so much! I knew it could be done easily in FCP. A nested sequence with control of the spinning, and a drop shadow as well! Doing it this way first may give me time for something fancier...

It's a load off my mind. Thanks again.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Major Player

drawback...

unfortunately, the drop shadow will rotate with the image, which depending on how far you rotate might look kinda odd. You can always offset the angle of the shadow to compensate, but that might be a pain.

Another option is to nest the cropped image into its own sequence, then put THAT into the project timeline and apply the drop shadow.

Or, i'd use a slug (effects->video generator->slug) underneath the "window" layer and adjust the cropping to roughly the same size as the magazine, then change the crop feathering to soften it as a shadow. This way you can adjust the distortion and rotation of this new shadow independent of the rotating window.

Just some ideas. The rotating shadow might work for you too.

cheers!
-a

Last edited by Andrew Dean; November 10th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9
New Boot

Yes, excellent idea! A slug as it's own independent shadow... that one I'm sure I can do.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion