Rather special lenses - anybody used them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rather special lenses - anybody used them?

Hi all,

On eBay I came across a cóuple of (for me at least) rather special lenses. They haven't arrived yet, but I thought I would like to have your ideas about them - usefullness etc.

1. is a FUJINON Lens RCV-82SC A20x8.6 ENG Converter 16:9 - ie. a lens that converts a "normal" 4:3 lens to a true 16:9 lens. Question is - will there be any difference at all? I'm using a JVC 5101 camera, which only have 4:3, but have a special "squeeze" mode. allowing you to do artificial 16:9.

2. The other lens is FUJINON 0.75 wide angle converter. Bought it together with a lens (FUJINON S14X7.3BRM4), but plan to use the wide angle converter on my 20x lens on the JVC camera. OR - should I just keep the wide adapter on the 14x lens and use that lens with converter, when need for wide shots arise....?

Any ideas or insights ?

Kind regardxs

Peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

The 16:9 converter sounds like a an anamorphic lens. It will optically "squeeze" the image from left to right. The result will be a 16:9 image which fits into a 4:3 frame. If you correctly flag the clips as anamorphic 16:9 in your editing software, you should get high quality 16:9.

These lenses can be difficult to use though. They have to be correctly aligned and may not support full zoom-through focus.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd,

Sounds really good. I got it for a very good price (USD 299 compared to B&H's price of USD 1000+), so it will be very interesting to see the result.

I HAVE noticed, that when I change the JVC DV5101 from 16:9 squeeze modt to 4:3, I get a much wider pic in the viewfinder. Software squeezing is OK, but nothing beats a good piece of glass!

Thanks for the info. I will have it in a weeks time, and let you know the outcome.

/peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion