Whole Enchilada. Getting started. (Newbie alert) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 29th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Between gs250 and gs400, I would choose 400 only because it has a ring control for the iris, rather than a touch screen. Touchscreen shooting controls are my biggest PITA with the one-chip I bought. Focus and iris need to be easily accessible, WB can be a touch screen item since you typically set it once per location.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #17
Major Player

I'd give the nod to the 60 as well. You can go to your local BestBuy and try it out (or the 50 - that's what I've seen in stores) to get the feel for it, button placement, etc then go buy online for a better price.

I had a GS150 and I've used a GS250 and IMO the Canons are worth a whole lot more (while being cheaper to boot). I've never used a GS400.

The only thing that the GS400 (and Panasonics in general) have over an Optura is you can manually control the amount of gain in your image (IMO, not a selling point). The GS400 has a quasi frame as well mode but depending on your view of it deinterlacing could be better (you get interpolated image rather than a frame w/ half the data thrown out).

$.02
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #18
New Boot

Thanks to everyone here, we made a decision!

Remember, we are beginners and want to learn before getting into the big leagues, but we want a quality product as well.

Drum roll please !!!!

Camera: Optura 60 (Special Package from B&H) $800

Software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio $99

Computer: We were going to use my laptop, but found an eMachine we couldn't pass up!! I have used an emachine (Gateway makes them) laptop for over a year and it is great. Cheap but can handle what we want: AMD 3400 2.8ghz, 1 GIG RAM, 200 MB 7200 HD, Firewire, Dual Layer DVD, all for $550 bucks.!
It should handle the work we want. That will be its only job.

Odd and Ends: $400 (Tapes, Mic, Lights)

An inexpensive way to start. We will grow when we feel ready. No rush, just practice, practice, read, practice, edit, practice, in no particular order.

Thank again. Pretty soon I'l be using sme of the "lingo" around here.
John Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Wow, that's an insane price for a laptop like that. Good find!
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #20
New Boot

Actually, it is a desktop system. It is too good to pass up. I sold computers for 4 years and Emachines used to be a joke. Since Gateway took over, they have slowly evolved into nice little systems and nobody can touch the price.

For starting out, I think they are excellent.
John Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #21
Major Player

Get a UV filter for your camera right away, to protect the lens. You will also want an extra battery or two. Some brands better than others so watch out for super-cheap. Stick with one brand of tape from the beginning, and get yourself a cleaning tape pretty soon. Good Luck.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Get a UV filter for your camera right away, to protect the lens. You will also want an extra battery or two. Some brands better than others so watch out for super-cheap. Stick with one brand of tape from the beginning, and get yourself a cleaning tape pretty soon. Good Luck.

best advice in a thread full of sound advice- especially the part about sticking to one brand of tape.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #23
Trustee

I highly recommend www.taperesources.com, competetive prices and excellent service. Buy tapes in bulk and as noted, dont change brands...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion