MP4 Conversion nightmare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
New Boot

MP4 Conversion nightmare

I have three files a lawyer brought me from a police interrogation. They are mp4. I can only play them in a player called Hikvision. I need to burn them to DVDs with chapter points.

I have stressed about this for two full days now. I thought it would just pull into Premiere, but no. I downloaded countless mp4 converters, but none of them even recognize the files. I have tried screen capture software, but none of them actually record the video.... I just get a pinkish screen where the hikvision player is playing.

I am totally lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeromy
Jeromy Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Assuming you're are on a PC, download this piece of software:

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

Install it. Then use it to open the file. Post a screenshot when you do that. This program will tell us what codec was used to encode the file, and from there we can tell you what you need to do to read it and drop it into Premiere.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
New Boot

Dead End.

File Type: Unknown
Mime Type: Unknown.

I made sure the GSpot was working (so many jokes) by using other files in the program.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

OK,

Maybe one of these will help:

Hikvision Digital Technology Co.,Ltd.--http://www.hikvision.com

Like that last one... Or the 4th one.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Progress.

I can now play the file in Window Media Player with the Filter I downloaded. Thanks. Also, I called Hikvision, and I figured out more about the files I'm dealing with. I'm actually sending one to them so they can try and convert it with their converter. For now, it still doesn't work in the converter I downloaded from their website.

Thanks for your help!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
New Boot

Sorry to double post. I learned from Hikvision that the mp4s are proprietary to their digital security systems, and the only player that will play them is the hikvision Player. So... if they can get the converter to work on my file, then I'll be home free.

Thanks for your help!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good luck! When I realized that G-Spot didn't know the codec, I knew it was proprietary. Then when I went to their site, and saw the filter and converter, I figured that would be the only way.

Hope it works out for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion