Video sampler/presenter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video sampler/presenter

Im in the lookout for a sorts of playback device which would be suitable for live event intercuts. Such as " and here is a message from our sponsors" or "and the nominees are" Bam the video plays on the big screen.

More specificly I would like the device to have a layout which mimics a visual sampler like i.e. P-10 Visual Sampler with the option to load up a bunch of video clips that can be played back with a push of a button.

The unit should prefferably accept various file types, such as H264 mp4 or mpeg2 in high quality SD or HD formats.

Any suggestions?
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Here's a company that I have had limited experience with, you can download an interactive demo. There are a number of models of various capbilities and prices:

Broadcast Pix - Home

A competing manufacturer is here: NewTek TriCaster

I got a chance to play with both of these products, and the broadcast pix one was purchased for the video studio at the newspaper I used to work for. HTH /Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks.. Those look big and expensive.. Isn't there anything more "compact"? All I really need is a 3 inch monitor built inside that thing, and 12-16 assign buttons that can enable me to preorganize the clips for ultra quick selection. It should definitelly not be much bigger than the EDIROL P-10 and without any computer hookups.

Infact I would go for the P-10 if only it had european Video standard resolutions. Their specs say 640x480 only.. Had it been a bit higher and accepted other file types than MJpg it would be perfect.

Last edited by Nik Skjoth; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Trustee

I'll have to leave that answer to someone else, as these are the only switchers with which I'm familiar. Here's a link to an article that may give you some background, but I'm in NTSC-land and don't know what's available for Euro standards...best wishes! /bv

Choosing a Video Switcher
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Sounds like you want a 'VJ' type of device. There are some vj forums like VJForums - Powered by vBulletin (oddly enough!). They might have a better idea of what's out there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion