Got the camera. Still need the power supply.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Got the camera. Still need the power supply..

Well, it's been more than a year, but I finally got my JVC GY-500D. For free. Wheee.
Now, about the power supply.
I can't afford (handicapped and fixed income, squared) to spend a hundred and a half or whatever for a power supply. But... and this is where it gets interesting... I have some pretty good feedback (from here) that makes me think I can take a power supply that puts out 12V 3A regulated, have a 4-pin XLR plug attached (pin 1- GND, pin 2+3, nothing, pin 4- +12v), and run the camera on that.
I am somewhat reluctant to risk the camera that I have been waiting for all this time, so I solicit the members here on 1) the advisability of this step, and 2) the estimated cost for the work.
And, finally, yeah, I know the GY-500D isn't the powerhouse it once was. But it's mine, it's free and it was once touted as a pretty good camera. Did I mention that it's free? I figure that it can still help me tell a story.
And it's free!
Thanks in advance.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

How much is too much? $80?

JVC | AA-P250U AC Adapter and Charger | AAP250U | B&H Photo Video

Bescor | XLR-20MF 4-pin XLR Male to 4-pin XLR Female | XLR20MF

Yeah, you could get a small Tripp Lite power supply, some speaker wire and an XLR for a lot cheaper but do you know someone to do the work?

Either solution will work just fine.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Done! Thanks, Andy!

I've haunted the B&H site for a few weeks, looking for adapters, and never found this. I'm ordering it in about five minutes! Thanks so much.
Roy Sallows is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion