HD(V) camera used in television? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD(V) camera used in television?

Is there a thread on this site or offsite, that shows which cameras are used on certain tv shows? Like the Z1U being used on "Deadliest Catch; XH-G1 on "Guilding Light, etc.
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey, I would be interested in that as well.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

none that I've ever seen, especially since each show is done by different production companies.
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

What I have been seeing a lot of on set, particularly on the 1 hour prime time dramas (procedurals etc) is that the primary cameras are generally still the "big ones": Genesis, F23/35, D21 as well as 35mm film, but more and more smaller cameras are showing up for specialty shots and stunt scenes. EX3's are popular, with 5D and 7D's making inroads. These aren't generally intercut within a dialogue scene with the intention of matching the full-size cameras, but more for different point of views and hard-to-reach places.
Old December 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Les Stroud shoots his Survivorman episodes with two Sony HVR-Z1Us and a Sony HDR-HC3. He also uses a Sony DCR-HC96 for infrared and time lapse shots and a Viosport Adventure Cam H20 waterproof lipstick cam. He packs these in himself and is typically alone on location for about a week and brings back about 40 hours of footage for a one hour show.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are threads that pop up here and there from time to time on this general topic, but it might make a good section "as seen on..." for both movies and TV to discuss the places where "consumer" or prosumer type equipment is being used for professional productions.

Phil Bloom just did an excellent little short of Skywalker Ranch in the 7D area that EVERYONE should see if there's any doubt about the capabilities of the relatively inexpensive gear that virtually any of us could probably budget for... the talent, well, that's another story, but I think it's a great idea (and inspiring) to showcase how much someone with talent, an idea and a little effort can do with the latest gear.

I vote for "as seen on..." perhaps just so we could link to other threads within DVinfo that have this sort of content - might be great for the "tourists" who come for the fluff, and stay for the steak! AND not so bad for regulars who might not visit all the extensive areas of "DVinfo Ranch"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Major Player

I've used a jvc hd100 and dvx100 for several productions on speed channel. Z1u for Entertainment Tonight. I use a HVX200 everyday for local news and some of that has gone to network level. Broadcast standards aren't what they used to be.
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I know that Mall Cops :MOA on TLC uses Z1u's, I have been talking to the crew the last couple days and might be joining their crew for season 2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion