Need a hand.. something I shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Need a hand.. something I shot

So I had a friend hold my camera while I was performing and I was just curious as to how to get rid of some of the blur you see when I'm breaking. (breakdancing? lol)

I don't mind it too much but I was wondering if anyone had any tips.
I think maybe because it was shot on 24p mode?

I have a Sony FX1000

check it out here.

PS. It was edited a little because it has to be 3 minutes or less for this contest I entered.

YouTube - 10zero - Rock the Roxy contest video
Luie Dalmasy Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Luie..............

I could be wrong (it has been known to happen) but as a guess I'd say a combination of that 24p shooting mode and a too slow shutter speed for the action going on.

I can't see any way to fix what you already have, if you go through it frame by frame I think you'll find all the action shots have smeared, basically unfixable.

For future shoots, either get some more lights so the shutter speed can be increased or bump up the gain, tho' that comes at the expense of more noise.

24p sounds great in theory, but for fast action it really doesn't cut the mustard, try 60i next time.

All IMHO, of course.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

If possible, add more light. This enables you to have a faster shutter speed on the camera and hence cleaner individual frames.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Trustee

Take the time to develop an understanding of the technical aspects of shooting modes. When you have a good understanding, you will be better equipped to make appropriate choices. It's not a matter of selecting the "in thing". 24P is one of the shooting modes that has become "fashionable" in some circles. There are some groupie camp followers who think if they don't shoot exclusively in 24P they are at risk of rejection by the Gods of video - er uh, excuse me; I believe cinema is the operative word.

24P doesn't shoot fast motion well. When you compound it with a slow shutter for low light, you will have some lousy looking footage of break dancing. Just as professional musicians don't always play in the key of C, professional videographers don't always play in the "key" of 24P.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If the lighting was as dim as it looks like it might have been, a higher shutter speed could make for a far noisier image (and certainly a more strobe like effect). Also, for YouTube video, less blur, in the portions with really fast motion, could result in some pretty obnoxious blockiness. Freeze some of those frames and there is already notable blockiness. With less blur, blockiness could easily become very apparent played back in real-time. Shot at 60i, with 1/60 shutter, and uploaded to YouTube, that same clip could look like just a noisy, strobing, blocky, utter mess.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion