Adobe Premier CS3 AVI v After Effects CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Adobe Premier CS3 AVI v After Effects CS4

Now what have Adobe done to Premier CS4 ?

I cant import AVI files into premier CS4 but I can into After Effects CS4 !!!!!

The only way I can import into Prem CS4 is to use Adobe Media Encoder and choose to encode as uncompressed Microsoft AVI.

Why is this? why one and not the other ?? Do I need Codex ?? if so which one??

HELP got a lot of work to do and encoding taking 45min a file ARRRRRRRRR

Thanks

G
Graham Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry to say that there's no problem importing avis - do it every day! Sounds like something's gone awry with PP.

You ask
Quote:
Now what have Adobe done to Premier CS4
have you just upgraded or installed some kind of update, or is this a new installation? If it is, it could be something daft like a missing codec, but AVI is a pretty normal format. Just as an experiment. If you export a clip from AE in avi, does this run in PP?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Trustee

There are many kinds of avi (its just a container) - which kind are you trying to import? Will the avis play in Windows Mediaplayer and/or Quicktime?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If they WON'T play, there's a program called G-Spot (!!!) that will analyse the clip and tell you what codec was used to encode it. I was tearing out my (scant remaining) hair one night because an AVI wouldn't play and used G-Spot and it turned out that I had forgotten to install Cineform on my new machine.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Tourist

Hi thanks for all your answers, but it still wont play them, I have a 50 second clip, but it plays about 50 times SLOWER and only plays about 2 seconds over the 50 seconds gime line, but it plays the whole time line ??? tried G spot, says it a DV type 2 AVI opeenDML using a codec of dvds, and it is anstalled, can play the clip through any other player, I have tried clips imported from the web, old clips and imported from Video Camera direct to Premier Pro CS4, captured ok but wont play back at the right speed, eseems to slow them all down by about 50 times ???

Been using this for years with no problem, I am using windows 7 with 8GB memory AMD 6400 Dual Core.

Really got to sort this quick

Thanks so far

Graham W
Graham Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Trustee

If you are up against it, maybe the quick answer is to convert the files to something else...if mpegStreamclip or VideoLan will convert to, say, DV stream, it might save time to just convert and go for it..../Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Tourist

OK sorted now, went for the long option and re installed everything ( i have masters collection) and blow me down it is now working ??? weird, I have seen other people with this problem but with no answers apart from codecs which did not help me!!

Anyway thanks you all for your help,

Now I will GO FOR IT.

Thanks again

Graham
Graham Whitehead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion