Panasonic HVX200 vs Sony EX1 vs Sony NX5U? Found Local Sellers! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Was looking into Sony EX-1R/NX5U, but i found HVX200 local..

i was looking into the sony EX-1R/NX5U and trying to figure out what would be best for my new indie film i have going on this summer...

but then i found this camera, the panasonic hvx-200, its also very local...

Panasonic HVX 200 HD Camera + 16Gb P2 Card+ Barry Green book

how does this camera compare to the others..? is it as good image wise?

any advice on this situation would be great!

thanks!
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Major Player

i also found this

Sony EX1 XDCAM Camcorder

Last edited by Corey Benoit; March 2nd, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Of the three cameras, the EX will give the best quality picture overall.

Main technical reason - it has 3 1/2" chips, each of full 1920x1080 resolution, the NX5 only has half as many, the HVX200 only a quarter as many (they're 960x540).

Main photographic reasons - the EX has 1/2" chips, not 1/3" like the other two, that enables better control of depth of field, to say nothing of better low light performance. It also has true manual lens control - not via servo like the other two.

Main non-tech reasons - it gives better pictures in practice! In another thread I referred to tests done by the British Society of Cinematographers, mainly about high end cameras, but with the EX and HVX201 thrown in as wild cards. I expected the EX to be better, but was surprised just how much better.

Financial - one 16GB card will last for about 16 minutes in 1080 mode with an HVX200. Do you really want to take the risk of having to download and format the original card in the film after every 10 minutes of shooting? If not, are you aware of how much extra cards cost? Your bargain may not be such a bargain when you take everything into account.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Corey:

All of the questions you are asking are easily answered on this board with some research. All of the cameras you listed are good solid pieces of gear but are designed for different requirements. You need to research what is most important to you and how you want to use the camera. I'll just throw out a few questions you will need to ask yourself in order to determine which camera is best for your needs.

1. What will you be filming besides your feature? Corporate? Music Videos? Comedy Sketches? Home videos?

2. How long will you need to shoot? Cameras like the HVX200 and the EX1 require costly memory so if you need to shoot long events, this becomes a factor in the cost.

3. Is a filmic type of look or extreme sharpness most important to you?

4. 2,200.00 for a used HVX with a broken Firewire is not exceptional. You would eventually want to get the FW fixed which would cost at least $300.00 to $400.00 or more and I see used HVXs all of the time with the FW working and with a P2 card or $2,500.00

5. Do you already have good camera support (quality tripod, dolly, shoulder mount rig, Steadicam)? Audio gear? Lighting? Grip? All of the support gear is expensive and is at least as important as which camera you buy.

You don't even know what you need or which system is going to appeal most to you so do a lot more research before you start spending money. I would never buy a camera without trying one out, at least at a dealers showroom or I would rent the cameras you are considering and shoot a little piece over a weekend.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

so in reality, if the ex1 cant be had, the NX5U is a better choice then that hvx200? also what about the hmc150 i have one local here for sale, and its 2500?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

i want the film look....for sure....

but, if i cant get this ex1 for 4k used, then i will have 3 options....

panasonic hmc150 = 2300 avchd (its local)
sony nx5u = 3900 = avchd (bhphoto)
panasonic hvx200p = dvpro (local)
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

HMC150 has more or less the same chips as the 200 - 960x540. Codec is more compressed than on the 200, though that means it takes SDHC so at least cheaper media.

Of the cameras you mention, the EX is the best by far, not just in picture quality, but things like true manual lens.

You get what you pay for.....
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

i would assume that the chips on the NX5U are 1920 x 1080?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
so in reality, if the ex1 cant be had, the NX5U is a better choice then that hvx200? also what about the hmc150 i have one local here for sale, and its 2500?
You can shoot an EX1 with SDHC cards for about $40/hr. The Cheapest 1hr P2 card is $899. The Sony branded card is $529. So even if you don't go the cheapest route, it's still quite a bit cheaper to go with the EX1 in the long run. And you'll get better images in most circumstances.

You also seem to be listing HVX200's and not HVX200a which is the improved model with MUCH better light senstivity and less noise. There is no way I would buy an original HVX right now. Maybe for $500.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yep. And unlike the HVX, it has SDI and HDMI ports that let you use an external recorder like the Nanoflash, to get a FAR better codec if you want. No such luck on that HVX.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Trustee

The chips are not 1920 x 1080 on NX5U, they are 1 mp.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post

Main technical reason - it has 3 1/2" chips, each of full 1920x1080 resolution, the NX5 only has half as many, the HVX200 only a quarter as many (they're 960x540).

Main photographic reasons - the EX has 1/2" chips, not 1/3" like the other two, that enables better control of depth of field, to say nothing of better low light performance. It also has true manual lens control - not via servo like the other two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
The chips are not 1920 x 1080 on NX5U, they are 1 mp.
is it better than what david said the hvx was?

according to this article, the EX1R has 2.2 mp per cmos chip....thats impressive if its true...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Trustee

It has more chip resolution than the HVX200, yes. Not as much as EX1/r
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM   #14
Major Player

I would reread Dan Brockett's post ... his approach is quite valid. Having the best chips in the business (if you can live with CMOS), within a given market, would be of no value if the camera that houses them does not otherwise meet your needs (I.e. ergonomics, weight, CODEC, etc.) That said, there is a clear divide between the Sonanites and Pananites (excuse the literary license) that must be factored into whatever you read. But there is no doubt that the Ex1 will give you a sharper image than the Panasonic in question, broken or not, but if your technique requires considerable hand-holding you might want to reconsider the Ex1 in favor of something else. But regardless, I personally would not purchase a dysfunctional camera of any brand and with that in mind the 150 would seem a better choice than the HVX but that calls to question your editing platform.

One poster describes adding an outboard recording device to the EX1 to further improve its CODEC and data rate but bear in mind that that little addition will come close in cost to the numbers that you are touting in regards to camera purchase (+/- $2800) and represents another thingy hanging off your camera that will further influence weight and balance.

Lastly, there have been numerous pontifications on various forums suggesting one camera over another but in the end, you are the one who has to make the decision based upon needs and funds keeping in mind that unless you are an octogenarian it will not be your last camera ... technological advances will accrue no matter what you buy and sooner or later you're going to desire or require the latest and greatest new toy.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
I would reread Dan Brockett's post ... his approach is quite valid. Having the best chips in the business (if you can live with CMOS), within a given market, would be of no value if the camera that houses them does not otherwise meet your needs (I.e. ergonomics, weight, CODEC, etc.) That said, there is a clear divide between the Sonanites and Pananites (excuse the literary license) that must be factored into whatever you read. But there is no doubt that the Ex1 will give you a sharper image than the Panasonic in question, broken or not, but if your technique requires considerable hand-holding you might want to reconsider the Ex1 in favor of something else. But regardless, I personally would not purchase a dysfunctional camera of any brand and with that in mind the 150 would seem a better choice than the HVX but that calls to question your editing platform.

One poster describes adding an outboard recording device to the EX1 to further improve its CODEC and data rate but bear in mind that that little addition will come close in cost to the numbers that you are touting in regards to camera purchase (+/- $2800) and represents another thingy hanging off your camera that will further influence weight and balance.

Lastly, there have been numerous pontifications on various forums suggesting one camera over another but in the end, you are the one who has to make the decision based upon needs and funds keeping in mind that unless you are an octogenarian it will not be your last camera ... technological advances will accrue no matter what you buy and sooner or later you're going to desire or require the latest and greatest new toy.
Excellent points by Ron. And the reason I own 4 cameras. Two Panasonic, one Sony, and one Canon. Choose the best tool for YOU or for the job at hand.

@Tom Roper - Thanks for the correction on the NX5U chips.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion