* * Artifact - - Motion? Cleaning? ** at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

* * Artifact - - Motion? Cleaning? **

Post to the boards...

I've included a link to an example of my problem.

http://www.dpbegin.com/Gallery/Artifact.htm

This only occurs in two frames at a time. I have a feeling it has to do with the interlacing or something. Is there a way to smooth this out so it doesn't occur? I think it reared its ugly head because of my actor's or a sharp camera movement on my part.

Please help...

Thank you in advance...

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Plse tell us more about this image. Directly out of yr cam on pauze? Out of yr NLE ? Seen(taken)from a PC screen? Cam settings? "two frames at a time" means two consecutive frames affected?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 10:07 AM   #3
Major Player

* * PROMPT * *

This was after the footage was captured from my XL1S, via Firewire, by Avid Express DV 3.5.

As I was editing the sequence, the 'shifting' took place. When I investigated by moving forward in the sequence, frame by frame, the two frames in sequential order were effected. The rest is fine. This is the raw footage and has not been altered in anyway, via color correction or blow-up. Which I plan to do.

The frame was exported from Avid (Quicktime) and posted raw.

Have you (anybody) come across this before?

Thanks for help and the options...!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Do you see the same artifact on the original footage played back in yr XLS, and/or outputed back to tape ? . Although you didn't process the data you have at least decompressed the DV data by the Avid Codec in order to visualize this image. Could you also confirm if the head was turning and the cam was handheld ? (in the neighbouring frames). All those questions because I suspect yr Avid Codec (decompressor). DV is basically a MJPEG concept. So it's an intraframe system, but one of the "extra's" applied in DV is the macroblock aproach and this allows interframe compression under some conditions. The decision algorithm about reusing parts of the foregoing frame can go wrong under very specific content conditions. It's also quite possible that Avid uses a stripped-down decompressor just for computer visualisation (saves processing power for the real work), and applies the full version for editing (cross overs...)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dre...

I am going to look into that tonight, checking it out on my XL1S.

I'll get back to this when I can scrutinize the frames later.

Thanks, again!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion