cameras mainly for webcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

cameras mainly for webcast

Hi All.

I have done some webcast of events with a Canon GL1 and a Sony PD-150. My Canon isn't in very good shape and I will be upgrading it soon. Before I do, i was wondering about upgrading to HDV such as a Z5U, FX1000 or fx7, or if I should stay with DV and go with a PD150/170 or VX2000. I do not require XLR input as most of the time my audio goes though an external mixer. Just wondering if going to HDV would improve the quality of the webcast or would it make much difference? These cameras may be overkill, but i prefer this form factor and style better than palmcorders.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
New Boot

With deference to the use, my attitude nowadays is not to confine my thinking and limit myself. It's best to get what you can afford with thoughts to the future and what can come down the road, not just what you have an immediate use for. I made that mistake before and it cost me jobs cause I didn't have the equipment I needed. HDV is a big market and there is not enough content available to satisfy demand. Get an HDV camera and market yourself for other jobs then what your doing.
Wayne Crider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Technically, the FX1000 is going to be a huge step back if you need 'to see in the dark' as the PD150 does (and the GL is not far behind). Go for one of the other two if you can afford/justify it.

If you know for sure you don't need HD in the near future, than stay SD and spend the difference in Las Vegas.
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The FX1000 really does see in the dark and is every bit as good as the PD150, even the 170. It's identical to the Z5 -- same lens and chips, same cam basically. The FX7, however, really struggles in low light so I wouldn't recommend that one.

But for the purposes of webcast the only thing these cams give you is better widescreen, and even that isn't much of an issue at web resolutions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion