Camera settings when filming Ballet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera settings when filming Ballet

I am seeking assistance for the proper settings to use on my Sony DCR PC100
when I video a live Ballet performance. I will be sitting in the audience so a tripod will not be possible, in fact having a camera in the Opera House at all is forbidden. Therefore should I use steadyshot ? Also becaue the dances move in and around the stage they often are illumintated by different stages lights causing them to appear different colors. What exposure settings would be best for this problem. My camera does not have a lot of manual options, but I do have settings like "spotlight" and I was wondering if this might be a solution. Also under these difficult lighting conditions, will auto focus work ?
I would greatly appreciate any assistance I could get.
Regards
Dennis
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Tourist

Ballet isn't so bad

Spotlight is VERY necessary if there is a white costume. I recently filmed the Nutcracker here in Alaska with a DVX100. If you can sneak a small tripod in, I would say risk it. Trust the stage crew people, they know how to light, so don't let your iris be on Auto, and see if you can get a decent white balance (good luck, can be tricky).
John T Bolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

If camcorders are prohibited completely, then why bother with this at all? Steadyshot will help, as will the spotlight mode, but if you can't shoot on a tripod then is it really worth doing? Why not approach the management about getting a waiver for taping the event, so you can get properly set up with a tripod and do it right. Otherwise if you have to sneak the shooting and risk getting busted, then the proper camera settings are really the least of your concerns. The question isn't how good it's going to look, the question is how watchable will it be since it's handheld.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #4
Major Player

If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right. Talk to the management about being granted access to video the performance and do it properly on a tripod. You'll be much happier with the results and you won't be sent home from the theater before the performance is over.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #5
Wrangler

Why do you feel the need to videotape this performance? You call it an "opera house" which makes it sound like a professional venue with union crews, musicians and performers. If so then you will never get permission to videotape there.

I work in such a place myself, and we have to be vigilant about such things due to union regulations. Granted, some shaky handheld video with lousy audio isn't likely to appear on "Great Performances," but rules are rules and for legal reasons they must be obeyed. The ushers and staff are likely to be watching for just this sort of thing, so you risk being thrown out of the theatre and possibly having your camera and/or tape impounded.

You will need to decide whether it's worth this risk to get what would be very poor quality handheld video anyway...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Besides the risk you run by going afoul of the house rules, you're really cheating yourself by trying to tape the event. If you're hunkered down and peeping through a viewfinder, you're going to miss the event. Sure you might see it through the viewfinder, and get a shaky handheld recording, but you're not going to enjoy the performance. You'll be so busy trying to tape that thing that you'll miss its beauty... and playing back an unwatchable handheld video recording is no substitute for reality by any stretch of the imagination. Why not just *watch* the performance and *enjoy* it. The memories you take from the experience will be of much higher "image quality" than that of a camcorder that you're using to play hide-n-seek with the house ushers.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Not fun without a tripod

I got nauseous and dizzy after video recording a recent opera performance without a tripod.

Several months ago, I was going to the final dress rehearsal of an opera with my Canon GL2 to do some after-performance interviews of some of the cast members. I found out when I walked in that the tech director had forgotten his camcorder for the archive recording. So I was asked to fill in at the last minute.

Having no tripod, I placed my stabilizer (SteadyTracker) on a table and tried to pan and zoom. Since I thought I was going to do a 10-minute interview, I had not bothered to charge my batteries or bring my electrical hookups. To conserve power, I did not use the flip-out LCD screen.

I peered through the tiny viewfinder all night, shaking the camcorder every time I panned. Zooming in magnified the shake. As I drove home, I felt my stomach getting pretty upset. I was so dizzy by the time I got back I could not do anything except go to bed. It took me a day to recover from that horrid experience.

You must be getting paid a lot to go through all of this.
David Yuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion