Infrared filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Infrared filters

Has anyone tried to film with an infrared filter in front of the lens?

I know you won't be able to see anything through the viewfinder, but will the chip in the camera be able to "see" through it, and get something useful?
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Maybe I misunderstand the question...

Most camcorders have an infrared filter in them (to remove infrared from incoming spectrum).

The "far red" filters that have been a topic of conversation for the original EX1, EX3, and RED cameras actually filter red in the visible spectrum...not really infrared. These cameras will typically demonstrate a subtle to obvious red sensitivity when looking at a black surface (cloth is usually the worst), and filters like the Tiffen T1 that I use (as well as several other products that are available) reduce that red tint in those dark surfaces.

I know of no filter you could put in front of a lens and "see" infrared through the camera's internal filter, but I have seen a scenario where someone took a consumer camcorder apart and removed the internal filtering system...
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Many of the consummer cameras have a "nightshoot" mode that actually moves the IR cut filter from the optical path. Probably one of those cameras in conjunction with an IR pass filter would do the trick.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Sam. I suggest you check out the pages on camcorders and filters as well as the example images on this site:
LDP NET
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Alrighty then,

I read someof the past posts, and decided to try it out.

I put my filter on my Optura, and was amazed at how well it worked and the great results.
The colour was not what I expected, a bonus, as I was expecting a reddish magenta colour.
I got a sepia colour tone,which would look interesting, for a period kind of look.

I play some more for the weird look and then mess with it in post, to see what I can come up with.
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mendolia View Post
The colour was not what I expected, a bonus, as I was expecting a reddish magenta colour.
???????

I have no idea how you read what I wrote and expected a reddish tint... As I said, it -filters- red.

The Tiffen T1 I mentioned takes out the red tint in the blacks that certain cameras have...the opposite of a red tint.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion