problem with an old camera(i think the heads) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 16th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

problem with an old camera(i think the heads)

Ive got a jvc GR-DVL520U mini dv cam thats a few years old. Its been running great all the time Ive had it, but now its got the white lines through the picture and says it needs a head cleaning. Up untill it did this, I had never cleaned the heads. I ran a head cleaning tape through it, and it didnt help. I ended up using the head cleaner 4 times(which is the max # of times the directions said to use it at one time. The camera still has the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be?

Thanks
-Dylan
Dylan Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

The heads in the camera may be worn out as well. They may need replacement
(it may be better/cheaper to get a new one).

That would be my guess...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ive only had the camera two years...they shouldn't be worn out already? I use it quite a bit, but not that much. Im hoping I can get this fixed, so I can use it as a deck so i dont kill the heads on my new Canon. Any idea how much new heads would cost?
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Major Player

You didn't, by any chance, switch tape brands?
That could potentially gum up your heads.
I had the heads cleaned on my cam last year for $80.00 at the local camera store.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I bet thats what it is, i have used a few different tape brands with this camera
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Take it to a camera store with a tech and have the heads cleaned. I also learned this lesson the hard way.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion