Mac external drive on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 21st, 2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Major Player

Mac external drive on PC

Hi folks. I have a problem that needs urgent attention. I've been given an external drive that has HD footage in MTS format. This external drive has been formatted and written on using a Mac system. Now I have a PC and need to access this footage immediately - I want to edit this in Sony Vegas Pro 9. Not surprisingly, the Mac external drive does not show up on my Windows XP system when I connect it through the standard USB2 port (it does not have FireWire either). What to do? I need access to this footage urgently. Please help!
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Try Mediafour | MacDrive. Or find somebody with a Mac and transfer the files to a Windows formatted drive. Formatting the drive with FAT will make it easily accessible on both platforms.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mediafour | MacDrive might just work - but copy the files to your local drives before using them, in my experience MacDrive slows things down a bit.

FAT32 formatted drives might indeed be a good solution, but be aware that there can be no files larger than 4GB on a FAT32 formatted drive!
Ruben Kremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Mac external drive on PC

I have been using Transmac for some years now and it works a treat for reading Mac drives on a PC. Check out all details at:

TransMac Details
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've used MacDrive to round-trip several films with Mac folks. It makes the process seamless, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've got another film coming in in 60 days that will be cut on FCP and I will be doing color on in Vegas or Avid. And MacDrive will make that process trivial for us.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for all the help guys! Will definitely try out these programs and techniques. Since I have HD video footage I'm guessing some clips might be larger than 4GB.

Cheers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion