Interview Backgrounds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interview Backgrounds

I watched enough interior TV interviews (particularly on the History channel) to see that it's probably not possible to find a perfectly lit office or sitting room etc EVERY time an interview of a subject is shot, with that perfectly placed picture, lamp, bowl of flowers etc...

I am sure that the guys shooting the interviews are using a green screen, and keying in a background which is basically a still image of a pre-lit office or room.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get these background images, if in fact they do exist - or am I just going to have to do my interviews the hard way?

Thanks

Ron
Ron Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

What kind of interviews are you doing, and what is the end medium? If it is for the web, use a solid, non-moving background. It will help during compression. If you go to ebay, you can find backgrounds and stands cheap enough.

If you want an office bg to key in, a decent digital camera should get you a good enough image, and you can choose the setting.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Trustee

I doubt you are seeing green screen stuff for interviews, that makes lighting much harder. Get yourself a cheap background support, go to Target and buy some fun shower curtains. Throw some colored gels in front of a small light behind the shower curtain.... VOILA... great looking backgrounds on the cheap.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I assure you they aren't keying in the backgrounds. Shows that make it onto the History channel really are that well produced. They spend a considerable amount of time just setting up each of those interviews and the interviews are conducted with a crew of broadcast professionals. And that's why they're professionals, becuase they can set up interviews like that every single time. They re-arrange the setting as needed and they know how to properly utilize a light kit. Look again because they really are that good.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i shoot a lot of "talking head" interviews. i usually devote some serious time to scouting out the right "office" location. it often means that someone has to "lend" their colleague their office for an hour or two. one major thing i always look for is a "background" (be it bookshelves or whatever,) that is several feet behind the subject, so i can get a shallow depth of field. and i'm not shy about re-arranging plants, statues, whatever. and when i can i turn off whatever hvac system they have running. usually, when they see the results, they realize that it's worth the minor inconvenience.
Nate Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree with Nate. It takes time and effort to set up a professional interview and I doubt green screens are used much of the time for interviews such as those on the History channel.
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, definately spend the time setting up the shot. That's most of the work of shooting an interview.

I'm constantly brought shots that I cannot use because nothing was done in setup - no lighting - backgrounds that look like storage rooms.
I bang my head against the desk whenever I get handed a tape along with a comment like: 'this should be good, I spent a good 15 minutes setting it up'

Green/blue screens have their place, but for those nice settings you see on history / discovery / nat geo , they are definately planned and execute with great effort.
Don't be scared to add some of your own props - it can make a nice difference.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion