From video to photography at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

From video to photography

I'm a still photographer who got a lot out of this forum when trying to decide which video cameras to purchase. Perhaps I can return the favor. I'm helping out with a forum geared toward pro and enthusiast photographers called Photocamel http://www.photocamel.com. It's got great support so far from the pro photo community. Perhaps you'll find it useful.

GH
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Took photography at Ohio State a long long time ago. Taught me how to look at the frame and compose better I think. I am always conscious of the rule of 3rds as well as upper-left to lower-right flow in images.

Did my own B&W in the bathroom for years. Loved Ilford pearl finish papers in single weight. Did some IR work for a short spell too.

I think it made me a better video person.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Took photography at Ohio State a long long time ago. Taught me how to look at the frame and compose better I think. I am always conscious of the rule of 3rds as well as upper-left to lower-right flow in images.

Did my own B&W in the bathroom for years. Loved Ilford pearl finish papers in single weight. Did some IR work for a short spell too.

I think it made me a better video person.

Sean McHenry
I agree. I'm framing video with the lessons I learned as a photographer.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There's a line in the movie "All That Jazz" where the main character draws the says that dance is series of "pretty pictures." So it is with video staging, a series of pleasing or dramatic visuals flowing one into the next. Composition within the frame and action flowing smoothly from one "vital moment" composition to the next is what it's all about. Henri Cartier-Bresson's concept of the vital moment applies equally to still and motion photography IMHO.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House
There's a line in the movie "All That Jazz" where the main character draws the says that dance is series of "pretty pictures." So it is with video staging, a series of pleasing or dramatic visuals flowing one into the next. Composition within the frame and action flowing smoothly from one "vital moment" composition to the next is what it's all about. Henri Cartier-Bresson's concept of the vital moment applies equally to still and motion photography IMHO.
Steve, nicely put. We are, too, after all, dealing with technologies that are similar in many respects (video and still).
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Is it possible to with the Canon system to interchange all lenses between photography and video?
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:08 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Herbet
Is it possible to with the Canon system to interchange all lenses between photography and video?

It is possible to mount EF lenses on the XL video cameras, with an EF to EOS adapter (around $500). However, it isn't possible to put XL lenses on still cameras, which you wouldn't want to anyway.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Do the lenses retain metering and AF capabilities?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I tried a lens recently on an XL2, and I'm here to report that they do not retain metering. Not good.
Georg Herbet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion