Point of Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Point of Failure

I've got a wimpy computer by most standards -- Dual Core, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8400, Win XP. I'm running a trial of Edius Neos and kinda like it. I can't run a MOV file without awful sound distortion so I convert to AVI. Looks just as good, if not better then QT Player.

When I add an effect, the sound goes down the toilet. I can't imagine adding 2 or 3 effects. Where are my points of failure? A new computer is a possibility but not at this time. Is there something I can do now to help me limp along so that I can use whatever the fix is on the new system?

Hope this makes sense. Also, I'm open to all suggestions about editors and computers.

Thanks,
Burt
Burt Alcantara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm not familiar with Edius but there is a forum here with discussion of editing the dSLR .mov files. I imagine you will need greater computer horsepower if you're having problems even after transcoding to .avi files. I would read threads and post there for more info.
I'm a long time Vegas user and there is a forum here also with many discussions regarding these formats, transcoding and the necessary hardware. Versions of Vegas run from consumer levels at $40 to $140 depending on the exact software, up to much more expensive for the full Pro version.
There are many transcoding software packages available for Vegas including EPIC for $45, designed to work with dSLR files.

Epic I by DVFilm - Edit DSLR H.264 Quicktimes from Canon 5d, Canon 7d, or Canon Rebel in real time with Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

A few months ago I had to edit a program while traveling with my older laptop that has similar specs to your computer. I had to transcode using the Cineform trial, but Vegas had no trouble playing the transcoded files and their audio (originally AVCHD at 17Mbps 1440x1080 from a Canon HF11).
Rendering however was PAINFULLY SLOW of course. I know your T2i files will be even more intensive to work on from a computer processing standpoint.
I've just bought a new Toshiba 16" laptop with a Core i3 processor, 4 gigs of RAM and 500 gig harddrive for $659 online. I upgraded to Vegas Pro 9.0e from Pro 8 during their sale last month.
I'll be editing for the first time on it later this afternoon. Most discussions say i5 processor minimum, but since I've been making do for the last 6 months on a Core 2 Duo desktop and not transcoding, I think I'll be pleased with the i3.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think I just fixed it. I should just shut up and bury my face in the manual pages.
Sorry for the noise.

Burt
Burt Alcantara is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion