Any catalogue / browsing software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any catalogue / browsing software?

Are there any good software to catalogue your clips with keywords? Would be even better if there was possible to put keywords at time positions...
Joachim Ljungquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I have seen this discussed here a few times and as i recall, a lot of people simply set up a spread sheet.

it would be nice to have a specific program to make it a no-brainer job.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been wondering. There has to be some way.
Stephen Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Ljungquist View Post
Are there any good software to catalogue your clips with keywords? Would be even better if there was possible to put keywords at time positions...
I have not used this product, but by coincidence found someone on Craig's List looking for a video editor fluent in its use; called CatDv Pro, it provides for annotation and metadata and a bunch of other stuff, might be worth a look: CatDV 8.1 - Professional Edition
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Wrangler

Lightroom 3 & Aperture 3 can both catalog video. You could also try iMovie. At the file level, Snow Leopard and Windows 7 allow you to add keywords to each clip.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Major Player

I just started using CatDV last night and so far o good. Coming from a Photographer background, we are spoiled when it comes to DAM (Digital Asset Management) software. But when I started looking for DAMs for Video I was shocked to see how little there was and what was there how immature it is.

From my very first use, key-wording, adding comments, tagging and such is fairly straight forward and a very fast search engine accompanies it. I am very pleased.

Now to answer your question about key-wording a specific location: I have not done this, but what I understand from what I have read, you can and it has something to do with sub-clips (I think?)

"When you play the clip you can make a selection by marking In and Out points. You can then create a new secondary clip from the selection, or split a clip into two. (You can also do the opposite and merge two clips together, if a scene boundary was misidentified for example.)" Source: CatDV Tour - Clip details window (3 of 13)

So it's something to look at...
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Probably won't be much help if you're not using Vegas, but Vegas has a built in "Media Manager" that allows you to tag different clips, as well as organize them in catagories (such as close up, wideshot, etc.). Or at least I believe that's how it works. Never had much use for it yet, so I'm not very familiar with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion