A question about video ethics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
Now, we had a small setup, camera & tripod, but it was pretty apparent we weren't just sneaking in a camcorder. So this meathead Security guard comes up to us telling us to leave. We tell him we're with the band & on the list. He tells us "2 SONGS!!" as in that's all we can record. What logic is that & who gave him that permission?? We tell him no we're shooting the whole thing & sure enough we did.
2 songs is pretty standard for covering a band in a festival or concert unless it's a full clearance, which is the full deal involving a lot of agreements with management. They're usually pretty tight about it as well.

As for the documentary, that would depend on the arrangement agreed in advance and everyone has signed or by appearing as accepted they will be in the documentary. If you were making a documentary about the bodybuilders and had permission to film in the area, I don't see a problem.

Promoters and other people (the worst being the self appointed) can take exception to all sorts of things and often the best way is to film until you get stopped. The throwing up isn't a big deal, you see it at quite a few sporting events (at least he didn't stop off for a pee at the side of the road as happened in the Greek Olympics), but the promoter may have an overdeveloped sensitivity. Would he have objected if the winner had gone back to wipe away tears?

People saying no happens all the time when shooting docs, you have to accept it as going with the territory. Unfortunately some of the best material can be happening just at that point and you have to make an editorial decision about it and if it has enough importance for you to continue or if there's another way of getting the material. Perhaps in this case an interview with the winner where you could've asked him about how he reacted to winning, teasing an answer about being sick from him. You could use this with the visuals just before the promoter jumped in.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

Michael,

Just watched the clip and I wasn't too worried about the technical quality at all. The content was absolutely compelling.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Michael,

I agree with Andrew. That was a powerful video. Very nicely done. The interview with Anthony's friend at the end was really the emotional hook. The photos of Anthony's girlfriend over the friend's narrative were perfect.

I'm a working videojournalist but I'd much rather be doing the kind of documentary work that you are. Bodybuilding has always fascinated me, I even covered the sport for a while for a newspaper I worked for about 15 years ago.

You say you aren't a trained filmmaker...well, could've fooled me. Looks like you know how to tell a visual story pretty well.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Thank you Andrew and Sherri! I can't tell you how much your kind words mean to me! I've been doing this for about 5 years and am largely self taught, although I should mention how helpful the members of DVInfo have been in helping me train my eye to see where I can improve.
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Michael:

I have absolutely no interest in body building, yet I found your excerpt to be completely compelling storytelling. I hope that you are moving forward with getting a wide release for your doc, it is mesmerizing. Bravo and great work! You have a great future as a documentary filmmaker, you definitely know how to tell an emotionally compelling story.

Dan Brockett
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #21
New Boot

To use or not to use

There is one thing for sure. If you have the shot, you can either use it or not. If you don't, it is all a moot point. Better to get it and decide later, or confer with others, than to not have the choice. I say that as a 25-year print journalism veteran. Very early in my career, I attended a gathering of girls - young ladies - who were entered in a beauty contest that led to the Miss Georgia Pageant. The talk turned to padding. I didn't know what they were talking about and asked one. She explained that they were discussing the stuffing of bras and the ethics of it. Of course, my face turned beet red. I left that discussion out of my story,
Jock Ellis
John Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion