From MiniDisc to Hard Disk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 7th, 2002, 06:57 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

From MiniDisc to Hard Disk

Hey everyone,

I'd been crying in my beer this past week trying to figure out how the heck to get audio recorded on my MiniDisc onto my Mac hard drive to insert into FCP. The new Macs don't have "audio in" jacks for some reason.

Then our resident genius, Adrian Douglas, stepped up to the plate and saved the day. He suggested I plug one end of the cable into the "audio out" jack on the MiniDisc, then plug the other into the little mic jack on my XL-1 and simply record with blank video. Dang. I hate it when he's brilliant. ;)

Anyway...not sure if this should go in this forum...since I'm basically unfamiliar with cameras other than the XL-1 and Mac computers...but I wanted to post it here just in case other cameras/computers might benefit from this info. If it only applies to Macs and/or XL-1s...please move it.
Old November 7th, 2002, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't see why this would'd work...
Two remarks however
- There can be a "level" problem: yr minidisc can output "line level", while yr mike input maybe needs a much lower (mike) level. Maybe (adjustable) earphone output will then do the job.
- Jack compatibility:Yr XL-1 has maybe a mono mike input...
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2002, 10:03 PM   #3

dre...,

You're right...the level was a bit high...but it was easy enough to filter down to normal levels. Regardless, it worked fine. The audio from my MiniDisc is now snuggled safely in a sequence in FCP.
Old November 8th, 2002, 04:02 AM   #4
Trustee

If the levels are too high, switch the input switch from Mic to ATT. This should cut about drops the gain by about 20db. The standard mic on the XL1 is stereo so everything is sweet, stereo out from the MD and stereo into the camera.

It's all good.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 02:21 PM   #5
Major Player

The aardvark Direct Pro USB3 is a good solution too.

See:

http://www.aardvark-pro.com/direct_pro_usb3.html
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #6

There's something strange about the photo of the Direct Pro. If you look at the back panel showing the input jacks, one is labeled "USB" that clearly isn't USB. It looks like a modem jack.

Does it require some sort of special adapter cord that only they make?
Old November 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Major Player

i burn MD audio straight to tascam cd recorder then import the audio from the cd into G4. plus this will give you a cd backup of the audio.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:14 AM   #8
Major Player

I ca't see this on the picture, but a USB "B" version often used on the driving equip parts resemble a (smaller)network connection.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2002, 06:49 AM   #9
Major Player

USB connections come in several sizes. The aardvark unit uses the smaller "square" connector out (actually the top corners are cut-off). My Portadisc minidisc deck that has USB-out built in uses this kind of connector, as does my HP inkjet printer. There are standard cables that go from the small "square" connector to the "flat" computer style.

After I posted my note I realized that this would not be a digital-digital connection -- the aardvark is an analog to digital converter, but then the line out on the minidisc recorder mentioned is analog right?

I think the aardvark gives good flexibility for the price.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion