Can anyone reccomend a printer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 9th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Can anyone reccomend a printer

I dont need anything fancy, I just need to put some basic titling on a few DVD's. I am aware of Light Scribe and laser flash but I am looking for a stand alone printer. I dont need color printing. Thanks!
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

If you can find one, I love my Epson R300. Photo inks and a DVD tray. If you'd prefer new, the only printers around that do DVDs are the Epson Artisan 50 and 710.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Major Player

In the past, I have seen small printers that are you specifcally for DVD's and CD's. It was a small unit that resembled a DVD drive in your computer. It was under 100.00.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use Epson Artisan 50. Get a brand new one on Ebay for $38 a month ago. Good deal. Then get those Continous Ink system (CISS) now I print full page color without worrying to buy more ink.

It prints beautifully on those TY watersheild glossy DVD.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Kevin, I recently bought a DYMO DiscPainter from B&H. So far it has exceeded my expectations. And, it has a very small footprint, only 6" x 11" Numerouse FONTS and designes. Only uses one cartridge instead of the 6 the Epson uses. Cost is $300.00 with two extra cartriges or $250.00 with out the spares. Bob

http://global.dymo.com/enUS/DiscPainter/default.html
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I had a little Epson and it worked fine until it wore out in two years. Considering I paid about $50 for it new when the local CompUSA store closed down I wasn't too unhappy - it was still usable as a regular printer

Then I got an HP 260 that worked OK if you could ignore the brain dead software support that insisted on putting up trivial messages full screen - on my Apple 30" monitor!!!!!!

I finaly got one of the little robotic units that burns and prints 20 discs at a time - I usually run two to three dozen and I do use color/photos etc so this turned out to be a good solution

There is a small dedicated DYMO unit around that sort of resembles a flush toilet (sorry - but I didn't do the Industrial Design!!!)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/528759-REG/Dymo_1738260_DiscPainter_CD_DVD_Printer.html
Whoops - sorry for posting the second link to the same product! Just google CD printer and you'll find a bunch of them
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Major Player

I've been looking around at getting a DVD/CD printer here in recent weeks and have just about decided to give the Epson Artisan 50 a shot.

For the past 10 years we've been using a Canon pixima series printers with the Neato Labels. Those have worked quite well, but I would think printing directly would save some time and hassle.

The thing I like about the Epson is, the 6 ink cartridges. You can replace the specific ones that go low. In the Canon I have now, it has 1 color and 1 black... so if you run out of color you have to buy a whole new one which is like $30 or something. No telling how much ink is being wasted.

I saw that Amazon had the Artisan 50 for about $100..
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I use my Artisan 50 with Continous Ink system (CISS). I now print all full page color without worrying running low in ink.. also refill ink bottle is cheap. worth the investment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion