Challenges of Air to Air & Air to Ground Video Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Photographer

Challenges of Air to Air & Air to Ground Video Capture

I've got a question for the vast knowledge base here. Much of my work is aviation related. My Canon 1D IV does a beautiful job of HD capture in air to air situations. None of the "jello" effects or harmonic/G force effects that are common when trying to use a camcorder in the same environment. That being said, I would still like to be able to capture HD footage air to air and air to ground with an HD cam. My XHa1 is worthless in this application due to the aforementioned distortions. Considerable research has led me to believe that CMOS based cameras are no good for this type of application, but CCD based ones are fine. CCD based cameras that use tape are useless because of the harmonic the tape/tape head sets up.

I guess my question is, if I set my XH up with one of the digital capture modules and go direct from the camera to the module via firewire, will I have beautiful distortion free footage? There seems to be precious few camcorders that are CCD based and that record to solid state media so I'm hoping that buying a digital capture module for the XH might solve my problems.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

Sincerely,

Jim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion