keeping it warm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

keeping it warm

How do I keep a camera warm in a Bag, just worried incase it does occurred moisture control.

can i buy a fleece/jacket or cover it with something?

or use silica gel

Thanks

:)
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You might take a look at PortaBrace's polar covers for cameras.
I am very happy with mine, and even when it has been about -20C, the camera has had about +5 - +10C inside the cover.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You may have had this purpose in mind but the critical issue is not specifically to keep the camera warm. What you are really after is preventing rapid changes in temperature which will cause condensation. We can call this a "thermal capacity." Any camera carry system with walls other than simple canvas will probably give you all the thermal capacity you need.

What I do is allow time for temerature equalization. Say for example my equipment has been in my car in the cold weather for some number of hours and I want to bring it indoors to use it. When I carry the bag(s) in I will unzip the bag(s) but not open them. I will then let them sit for an hour to equalize temperatures of the equipment inside the bag(s) with the indoor environment.

If you don't have the hour to spare you can still use your equipment right out the bag as long as you are not in North Dakota with outside temps at -30F or so. If you get too much condensation the camera will complain and force you to wait.

What you really need to avoid is a situation where condensation is trapped in the camera while it is stored.
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank you guys :)
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ditto Wesley's comments. If you poke around here searching for cold shooting posts, you'll see many comments like his.

You don't say how cold it will get where you're shooting. If you're going to be well below 0F, then an insulated cover and some hand warmer packs can help. If it's above zero, it might not be necessary to keep the camera warm. I shot for a couple of hours in 10-15F temps and the only problem I had with my XH-A1 is that the battery life was shortened, by almost half.

A rain cover will help keep your camera warm and more importantly protect it from snow falling from tree branches. Had that happen to me, but the cover was on and all was good.
Richard Lucas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion