DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   What do you know about Cavision Matte Boxes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/4856-what-do-you-know-about-cavision-matte-boxes.html)

Josh Bass November 6th, 2002 10:23 PM

I just ordered mine. You don't need the rods for the 16x manual if you get the the HARD SHELL version of the box, if you get the bellows one you do. Perhaps this was common knowledge to most people, to me it was not.

Derrick Begin November 7th, 2002 03:00 PM

* * MATTE BOX RULES * *

Just talked to CAVISION...

Thinking about the possibilities of having a magnet like that attached to my camera, enhancing crisp images.

You attach one of those lovies to your camera, you had better be ready to seal the deal when Betty-Sue comes a walk'n up to you.

Ditto on pasting post-it-notes all over the camera, Kermie. That would definately deture da lovelies coming your way. Maybe you could light it on fire. It'll would get some attention that way. Maybe you could burn yourself and find yourself in the hospital in the company of a beautiful nurse.... AH... I digress...

Cheers!

Derrick

Josh Bass November 7th, 2002 11:45 PM

Just got my box today. That thing is HUGE. What a monster! I need to do some tests to see when I experience vignetting with my various lenses. I'd rather not have to carry my LCD monitor around all the time.

John Threat November 8th, 2002 02:13 AM

What lenses do you have John Bass?

Josh Bass November 8th, 2002 07:39 AM

Just the stock and manual 16x, with a century .6x Wide Angle adapter.

Jeff Donald November 9th, 2002 05:41 AM

Just a note to let readers know that this was split out of a much larger topic. The matte box discussion got way off topic, hence the reason for the split. I'll remove this note in a few days.

Jeff

John Threat November 9th, 2002 09:48 AM

Matte boxes really prove their usefullness when you go wide. So I probably will go with the bellows and rods and pistol grip set up for the 16x manual and 3x wide.

Another point for a professional matte box or sunshade, is that imagine doing a really good scene, where everything went right,

action was right
dialog is right
light is right
Focus is right
Chance Background elements are right

Light seeped in from the side from a sloppy flag job, or jury-rigged cardboard matte box. You are looking at 3 takes of a scene that are subpar, and one excellent one with a flare.

I would have to have to pick between those scenes for the final product. :(

Josh Bass November 9th, 2002 04:54 PM

Anyone have tips on keeping those 4X4 glass filters clean? I've just been wiping down my lens with a microfiber cloth recently. Everything else I use leaves crap on it (lens pen, compressed air, ROR). This so far give me what looks like the cleanest lens, but I don't know if it'll work on those filters.

I'll be doing some tests with my matte box tomorrow.

katelins November 9th, 2002 09:34 PM

Could you use the Cavision matte box with whatever Panasonic plans for an anamorphic adapter for the AG-DVX100? I know this may be hard to say but for someone who has used neither a matte box nor adapter before, I was just wondering if you have to take one into consideration for the other - for example, if you had the $$ to buy a Cavision, would that rule you out of a 16:9 later??

Joe Carney November 11th, 2002 10:59 AM

>>Anyone have tips on keeping those 4X4 glass filters clean? I've just been wiping down my lens with a microfiber cloth recently.<<

Josh, I go to Wal-Mart in their eyeglass section (Usually up front) and get the microcloths for litte money. They also have eyeglass cleaning solution with free refills. Those cloths were the same as the expensive ones sold at camera stores. They are washable too. The fluid doesn't leave any residue as far as I can tell.
I also carry some disposable ones as backup.

Dave Grey November 11th, 2002 02:20 PM

Cleaning Solutions

I've been wary of generic lens cleaning solutions, not because of residue, but fearing damage to the lens coatings. Does anyone know what ingredients to look for (or to avoid) to insure the solution will not degrade coated lenses?

lyd

Josh Bass November 11th, 2002 03:01 PM

This stuff called ROR (residual oil remover) is allegedly the way to go. It's been recommnded for cleaning filters and lenses.

Joe Carney November 11th, 2002 03:08 PM

MY eyeglasses are coated with UV resistant stuff. The people at the vision section said the solution was safe. Still if Wal-Mart scares you, then don't user their stuff.
My eyeglasses cost 400.00 with frame, I don't take cleaning them lightly.

Andrew Petrie May 16th, 2003 09:40 AM

Following the praise the CaVision matte box has, I may get one. It sounds like everyone hear purchased their boxes from CaVision directly, am I right? Where did you purchase yours?

Keith Loh May 16th, 2003 10:15 AM

Just a note on using the matte boxes. Make sure they are screwed on tight. Dylan and I did a shoot a couple weeks ago and the matte box was a-thumping through all the motion shots .. actually the entire shot was motion!