Tips for four-eyes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 11th, 2002, 03:12 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Tips for four-eyes?

I wear glasses (hopefully I'm not the only one) and today I was shooting outdoors, with the sun behind me and to my right. It was glaring off the viewfinder glass, which was not pressed right up to my eye because of the space the glasses created. Anyone have any tips? I have a hoodman viewfinder cover, and I left the rubber one on as well (it seems to hold the hoodman in place better). I pulled the rubber "lip" out that goes over your eye, and that helped some, but I was still having problems.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 03:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had the same problem with the "normal" rubber eyepiece on my GL2. Swapping out for the big, silly looking one did the trick. The extra rubber wrapped far enough around the side to keep light from peaking in.

I just looked at the "hoodfinder" on the hoodman site. I can't see where the light was coming in to cause your glare... it looks like that thing can close the gap all the way around the eye, even with glasses, based on the picture...

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/hoodfinder_main_pic.gif

Maybe smaller glasses? My lenses are about 1" x 1.25" ovals, and are well covered by the big rubber cup. I am sure they would be totally covered by the hoodman.

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #3
New Boot

I know it is simple and sounds stupid but I wear a hat. Most of the time a ball cap of some sort. The brim will usually work as a shade for the eye piece and allow me to keep a bit of distance.

Of course being bald I keep a hat on anyway.
Doug Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

There's an idea. And how fitting; I have two ZGC hats available to me. I think instead though, I'll go buy one of the leather cop hats that Brian Johnson of AC/DC is fond of.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 07:47 AM   #5
Woodyfang

Hats!

My mum bought me a back hat from the Cannes Film festival which says 'Caméra D'Or - Festival DE Cannes'

I wear it all the time when I'm shooting, its my good luck charm! I always wear it at uni, it shows people i'm serious about my work.

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 07:54 AM   #6
Major Player

* * LASER SURGERY * *

Do yourself a favor and see the world a new after having lasik surgery. Thats if you are nearsighted. I had it done over two years ago and my vision is at 20/15.

Just kidding, I was going to suggest a baseball cap. Or some hat with a wide brim. The rain gear (kata) if you put that on it has some canvas you can manipulate to block the sun.

Hope this helped...

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

Thanks. Also, I noticed when I shot yesterday that the sun reflects of my glasses themselves,as well as the viewfinder glass.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion