Backpack Travel Filmmaking Kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Backpack Travel Filmmaking Kit

Made a short video recently listing my current backpack filmmaking broadcast quality HDV kit, which all fits into my carry on luggage.
May be of interest to people - Backpack Filmmaking Gear List | Online Travel Video Channel
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Nice little kit you've got there.

I travel a bit to shoot surfing and it's always tough choosing what to leave out - A good tripod is absolutely essesntial for surfing so that's 5 kilos of my luggage allowance gone already. If I take a water housing thats only an extra kilo, but it takes up a third of my suitcase - socks and boardshorts get stuffed inside it in order to waste no space. 2 x boards (because if you only take one you'll definitely snap it) plus wetsuit, towels etc and I've got about 5kg left. I've got to leave 3 kilo's of that empty because on the way home everything will be wet and much heavier. Laptop and camera take up my carry on, and that leaves we with about 2 kilos worth of clothing and toiletries. For this reason I definitely prefer tropical destinations where all I need is singlets and boardshorts!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes John, I have tried filming surfing with my lightweight tripod, and it doesn't really work for close zooms.
YouTube - Surfing, Marrawah, Tasmania Travel Video Guide
Have you filmed Shipsterns Bluff, heavy heavy wave :)
Mark Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Trustee

I've never shot Shippies but I've got a sponsored friend from down that way who's trying to convince me to come down. I was actually in Tassie just over a month ago visiting friends and missed a good swell by a few days.

I actually just got home from Hawaii where I spent a month surfing and shooting. I took a gamble this year and went over in the early season rather than the prime time in Demember when I usually go. It paid off with some epic days, and with fewer videographers around at that time of year it means selling footage will be a bit easier for me.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

sounds like you have it all worked out John, work and surf, what a combo. I surfed in my 20's around Bells Beach. At some stage I'm gunna stop somewhere in the tropics and get my groove back :) Haven't been on a board for over 10 yrs
Mark Shea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion