DVDs won't play back in certain DVD players at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1
New Boot

DVDs won't play back in certain DVD players

I burnt my video to a DVD, I tested it out on my computer, Toshiba DVD player, and two different GO Video DVD players and they all played back perfectly fine.

I tried to play the DVDs on someone's PS3, PS2, and IBM Thinkpad and Macbook, and none of the DVDs would play.

I'm at a loss for troubleshooting this. I've tried both DVD-R and DVD+Rs with the same results. Anyone have any suggestions for the highest probability of playback on a client's DVD player?

(I've been a DVinfo member since 2006, but my account was deleted to not being active for a while, so I had to create a new one. Hello to everyone again!)
Brad Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Some more specifics required:

1. Where those data DVDs or movie DVDs? PAL/NTSC, SD or HD? etc.
2. What was the maximum bitrate used? On the safe side, your maximum (whether CBR or VBR) should be about 6.5 Mbps (Audio video combined). Older or cheaper players might not be able to correctly play back anything higher.
3. What write speed did you use? It is a good idea to write out the DVD in the lowest write speed possible.
4. Did you add any data content to your DVD (if it was a movie DVD)?

Maybe you have all this covered but I hope one of these suggestions help.
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

And what brand were the ones you used?

I don't think it's so uncommon to have compatibility issues with DVD's and I know that some people on the forum have said that they keep several players around so they can test what they burn.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM   #4
New Boot

interesting for me, thanks
Bredly Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Trustee

I have also had this when I used DVD -R discs from my macbook pro, if I use DVD +R discs they seem to play OK!

I see you have tried both types but it may be that you need to slow the burn speed down.
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Or maybe change brands. I have same problems with CD's from time to time. I seem to have the best luck with Taiyo Yuden and as Gary said, burn rate can affect it.

It is after all a less than perfect world! And burning writeable media exposes one of the most less perfect aspects of technology.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Burning DVDs can still be a bit of black art.

The brand of disk can matter. The color of the substrate can vary somewhat between brands, and that that can mean some players won't recognize DVDs on some brands of disk. I use printable 16x-rated Taiyo Yuden and the Sony "Accucore" disks that are sold in our local Costco. I've tried other brands (mainly Imation and Memorex) and have run into playback issues with them.

Burning speed can also matter. Some of my customers' players have trouble with disks burned at 16x. I always set the burning speed to 12x or less.

A third factor is the age of your DVD burner. It seems that, as the burner ages, the alignments can get off a bit, which can make for playback problems, especially when the disks are burned at higher speeds. I my case, the DVD burner in my laptop and the four-year old Pioneer DVD burner in my workstation won't burn playable DVDs at over 8x and sometimes drop down to 4x. My newer blur-ray burners do a much better job even with CDs.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I remember running off 50 CD's which worked fine in one player and not at all in another. Then I switched to Taiyo Yuden media and have had almost no playability issues with them.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Brad
What was the combined/total bitrate of the audio + video? Sareesh mentioned this above and would be the first thing I would check.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
New Boot

I was able to get the DVDs to work when I let Windows DVD Maker automatically set the bitrate to whatever it wanted. My problem was dics created with custom bitrates with Sony's DVD Architect.
Brad Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion