gy dv500u firewire live feed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 29th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1
New Boot

gy dv500u firewire live feed

Can this be done? I was about to pull the trigger to get this oldie but goodie. after hearing conflicting information and not finding a suitible answer in the userguide provided online by JVC, Can I bypass the DV VTR and provide a live feed via firewire to my pc.

thank you
Richard Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mine work fine - a 500 and a 5000 - there is delay in the video and audio, which depending on what you're planning may/may not be a snag, but it works fine. Be aware that depending on what you plug it into, sometimes weird things can happen - I sometimes go out to a stand alone DVD recorder, and hitting the wrong button can sometimes put the camera suddenly into replay mode when you didn't expect it.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
New Boot

So that is confirmed that I can bypass the built in dv vtr and import directly to a PC or Mac. On a side note I shall assume that color sampling remains 4:1:1 even if recorded directly to drive?

Thank you again...
Richard Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Not sure about the 4:1:1 bit - but to be honest, all the cameras I have here that have firewire out can be used live, or recorded externally. I even used a consumer handycam old JVC as a web video input, via the firewire in on the front panel of a permanently wired VT machine. For one regular archive job that has a running time of 2 and a half hours I record direct to a DVD machine in quite low res - works perfectly.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion