Beach filming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Beach filming

With regards to Sand?

Do I need to be worried? OR shall i wrap my camera up in a rain bag?

Any advice greatly appreicated

Thanks
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: Beach filming

I live in Florida, so I've done many shoots on a beach.
Obviously the first issue is to make sure your camera doesn't get wet or exposed to too much sand.
If you have a cover for your cam, go ahead and use it. It won't hurt to have it. If not, I sometimes carry a towel that I can drape over the camera when it's resting.
Make sure you have a tripod, so if you need to rest the camera (assuming you do hand-held) you have a safe place to rest it. Never let your camera touch the beach itself! And rinse the tripod's legs off with fresh water afterward, then wipe dry.
The lens might get a lot of exposure to blowing salt water and sand. Be careful, as the sand can scratch the lens. Make sure you have a UV filter to cover the lens. Better to scratch a replaceable UV filter than the front element of your lens. Cap your lens between takes.
As long as the wind's not blowing too bad, you should be just fine.
Also, be aware of the position of your viewfinder - the sun can burn spots into the finder. Make sure it isn't angled upward.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Sand is your second worry. Your first worry is salt. Once salt spray/water is on your camera, it'll start to corrode the metal parts. It's more dangerous than sand because it's invisible. If you do shoot at the beach, even with a cover, it's a good idea to thoroughly wipe down your entire camera. Make certain that no salt ever gets inside your camera!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Glen/Warren

Thanks for the great tips, I'll follow them ;-)

Its put my mind at ease.
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Major Player

And if there are many large, hulking boyfriends present, be careful which direction it appears you are pointing your camera. Just sayin'....
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Trustee

and please, we are all waiting to see the beautiful girls...
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I film on beaches, boats and in salt spray as a matter of routine. I produce a fishing show, and that's where the action is.

I have a weather cover over the camera at all times, although the front element of the wide angle adapter always gets sprayed with salt water. I don't have a UV filter over it as there's no filter threads on the Sony WA adapter.

Wipe down the camera at the end of the day with a damp cloth (not wet) to clean off the salt. Use Corrosion-X on anything made of metal to keep it from getting corroded.

I spray down the tripod with Salt Away and that seems to work well.

My EX1's are among the first to come out and they're still working just fine today.

No need to get too paranoid, but definitely keep the sand off. Don't lay it down at ground level. Keep it on a tripod, covered with a towel if you're not shooting. Sand is a LOT worse than salt, especially among the moving parts of the lens assembly.
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

A battery powered Dustbug is a handy item to have. I just came back from an airshow where dust (sand) abounds and gets in the cracks, run the Dustbug then, as mentioned wipe the rig down with a damp cloth.

I also tape up all the cam switches with Black low tack Cling brand adhesive tape.

Cheers.
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've had issues with dogs, the irresponsible owners who ignore all the city ordinances and let their dogs run wild off a leash all over the beach. Here are some of my least favorite dog tricks.

1) The Shake: The mutt comes out of the water, runs right next to your tripod and starts madly shaking all the water and sand off.
2) The Dime Stop: The mutt is running around mindlessly and does bank turn right by your set up, sending a rooster tail of sand all over your gear.
3) Tackling Dummy: Here the mutt just crashes in to your tripod because he's clumsy.
4) Mad Dog: Here the mutt decides the weird creature (me) with the three legged animal (my tripod)and tiny robot (my camera) is an alien invader so the mutt barks and snarls until the owner comes up and laughs and says "He's just playing".

The beach is probably the worst place to take a camera. It's got salt, sand, water, wind, and yes, dogs.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion