Quicktime codec V210 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 7th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Quicktime codec V210 question

Not sure if this is the right forum to put this but I just received a quicktime file that I need to put on dvd problem is I use pc (sony vegas). I had to download software to be able to read the external drive since it was formatted with a mac book. I was able to transfer the file to my hd problem I'm having now is when I open it up with vegas it only shows the audio no video. I tried opening it up with quicktime and it said additional software required for quick time to playback this media. I tried opening it up with vlc and it I got this message "no suitable decoder module: vlc does not support the audio or video format "v210". What do i need to be able to view and edit this on my pc? I have 1 week to deliver these dvd's so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Quicktime codec V210 question

I don't have particular experience with "v210", whatever that is, but, if you're not on the latest QT player, it's time to download it!

Likewise, next a fresh download of VLC, to assure you're getting the latest codecs.

With the latest QT, you should be able to read ProRes 422 HD in Vegas, which is what you should have received for HD.

You can always ask whoever sent you this drive what they rendered to...
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Major Player

I do have the latest qt pro player and no luck. the codec is 10bit 4:2:2 component YCbCr (v210). It is uncompressed so the size it about 135gb. I did find some video conversion software that recognized it and I was actually able to convert it to avi but the quality was terrible. The software is VideoConverter version 2.3.02 so if anyone has any experience with it or with Format Factory 2.6 please chime in. I need to know whats the settings for best video quality in that software. The person I received the file from is looking at converting it to avi and will get back to me soon.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez View Post
...The person I received the file from is looking at converting it to avi and will get back to me soon.
There are so many codecs for AVI. You might get this person to give you a small sample in ProRes422HD, your latest QT player should decode this.

This is on the assumption that they're editing with FCP. If AVID, the codec of choice would be AVID's DNxHD, which you can download for free at AVID's site.
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Major Player

She is using FCP so I'll ask her about that other codec. Talk about a headache.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Major Player

I am pretty sure that is an AJA codec, which is a free download from the Aja site.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion