Consumer cameras for green screen - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Consumer cameras for green screen

AFAIK, Cineform doesn't support a transparency channel, so, is unsuitable for output from CineGobs unless you are doing your composite in CG.

Lagarith supposedly supports a transparency channel, but I've never seen it work with Vegas. I mean, Lagarith DOES work with Vegas, but, the transparency channel is somehow not implemented in a way that V can read/write it. This is probably worthy of further investigation.

That leaves uncompressed as the only AVI format that one can export from CG with transparency. Maybe there's a png export from CG?

I just opened CG, and I see that Lagarith transparency is supported, as well as Full Frames (uncompressed). These would be the two most straightforward methods for output with a transparency channel.

I also see options for "output type = AVI (rgb file + alpha file)". That might work really well with Cineform. In ancient times we frequently worked with a separate matte channel with hardware keyers and switchers, you would take both these files to the Vegas timeline and set up, um, a compositing child track? I haven't actually done that in Vegas.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

If by Transparency Channel" you're referring to "Alpha Channel", Cineform does support it but think only in something like NEO 2K/4K and not in the lower priced versions.

A good question for the Cineform forum.

Which in a way is a problem with the forum structure - if you have a straight Vegas question the the Vegas forum is the place to go but if you have a question about Cineform and Vegas it isn't immediately clear whether to go to the Vegas forum or to the Cineform forum.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #18
Trustee

From my experience, the cleaner the image, the easier and better the keying will be. I find the H264 from DSLRs has quite a bit of compression artifacts while the EX1/3 have quite a bit of noise, and using an external recorder does not 'greatly' enhance keying, but it does help a little. I compared a 280Mb I-frame from a nanoFlash and the internal 35Mb 420 from an EX3 by using Keylight with identical settings, and I couldn't see any difference in the key quality. I used a Rycote Softie as the subject with Kino's and a Matthews GS.

About the BM Shuttle: what would he record to because a single drive cannot handle uncompressed 1080 30p 422 at ~125MB/s.

If there is a lot of motion being recorded, a 1080 60p camera would help due to motion blur reeking havoc on keys.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #19
Major Player

He wouldn't be recording uncompressed. The work he does is web-video introductions. Full body shots with mcu inserts. The main point is to save time in acquisition/transfer/post, thus maximize his income potential and turnaround time. Currently, the leading choice seems to be a Core i7 laptop with USB 3 for the BM Shuttle and external drive. This would allow for quickest ingest (via HDMI), no transcode (CS5) and fastest turnaround. So I guess the next question is...which gaming laptop to choose.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
He wouldn't be recording uncompressed. The work he does is web-video...
BM doesn't give you very many codec choices at all. In their capture software for the Intensity Pro, you get uncompressed and their own MJPEG, that's it. Some other capture programs can see the BMI, but, exactly what method would he use to not record uncompressed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
...About the BM Shuttle: what would he record to because a single drive cannot handle uncompressed 1080 30p 422 at ~125MB/s...
Steve is quite right - in my experience as well, the minimum disk requirement for working with BM Intensity is a 2-disk hardware-controlled RAID 0, minimum of good SATA 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
...the leading choice seems to be a Core i7 laptop with USB 3 for the BM Shuttle and external drive. This would allow for quickest ingest (via HDMI), no transcode (CS5) and fastest turnaround. So I guess the next question is...which gaming laptop to choose.
I don't have any experience with USB3 yet, but my concerns would be:
Can the data transport protocol Intensity Shuttle uses run concurrently on the same USB3 bus as external drives?
What is the minimum USB3 external drive configuration to capture at the desired resolution & format?

My basic question is whether BM support or users on forums are sharing experience about the config Oren's friend is considering, because otherwise it is an expensive experiment!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion