Tape Catalog Program at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Tape Catalog Program

What programs are there that allow me to catalog the scenes from my tapes (or AVI downloads).

EDIT - Added more commentary that I should have added in the first place

OK, I have hours and hours of tape that I have archived into AVI files.
I am looking for a program that will let me keep track of the scenes within each file, and
categorize it, example: Location, Content, Purpose, etc.

My current NLE does not offer this. I am on the fence about upgrading to an Adobe suite that contains Premiere Pro.

I currently have an application for Photography that lets me categorize each photo. So, when I want all photos of Person X at the Beach,
I can get it in two clicks of the mouse.

Last edited by Vince Pachiano; May 7th, 2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Expanded Question
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tape Catalog Program

It's not a simple subject.

But it always starts with a much clearer definition of what you actually want to do than you're giving us here.

A "tape catalog" might mean 50 different things to 50 different people. It might mean you want a simple list of the movie titles on a shelf of Hollywood movies. Or you might be looking to get INSIDE the content of each of a large number of discs, files, or even archive drives or tapes and create a detailed list of all the subjects, actors, locations, dates, times, and lengths of each scene thereon. Do you want visual references like pictures pulled from the scenes? Do you want to capture production metadata like camera settings and reel numbers?

If you're looking for simple - a web search on "tape catalog" will pull a ton of tools where you just stick in a disk, and your computer will read the names of the contained files, their size, and file types.

Also, if you're working with an NLE, most of them have rudimentary database capabilities built in such that you can export or print pictorial representations of the bins and/or clips and make your own binders or image archives of the results.

To get REALLY deep into creating robust searchable archives, you need some form of flexible database where YOU can decide the kind of data you need to separate and store and customize search queries and sort parameters..

I personally use Disk Catalog for the simple stuff like keeping track of backed up files on Hard Drives and removable media. And a self-built customizable Filemaker Pro database when I need to track deep detail.

The foundational truth, however will always be that your database will ALWAYS be as effective as the time and effort you put into maintaining it. Best database system in the world will FAIL if you don't do the tedious work of listing keywords, grabbing picons, and making sure that fundamental stuff like your tape and scene numbering is clear and consistent.

Good luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion