PDX-10 vs DVX-100a vs PD-170 vs..... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #16
Wrangler

Sandra: I've never used a DSR-250, but I know that optically and electronically it's the same as the PD-150. I guess the larger form factor provides for nicer physical controls, and I believe it has a real black and white CRT viewfinder. It also accepts the full size DVCAM tapes which gives it longer recording capacity. It takes larger ENG style batteries which are much more expensive than prosumer camera batteries. So basically it gives you a nicer form factor (assuming you wantsomething big and heavy) and costs a lot more than a PD-150 but the image quality will be identical to a PD-150. Remember that the PD-150 is a 4 or 5 year old design now - and of course a great workhorse - but not the latest technology. Sony never released a "DSR-170" to match the improvements on the PD-170. Personally it wouldn't interest me at all, but you may have different priorities.

Consider that the BBC is replacing the PD-150's with HVR-Z1's....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Boyd, I can't seem now to remember how many big news camera use 1/3's these days, but you're certainly right that about dsr250 having 1/3. I cant remember if the DSR 500 had 1/3, that was/is a common news camera.

Sandra, if you consider buying a DSR250, which I'd urge you not to, check out the price of a decent tripod for it, it'll cost you as much as an FX1, and that's a cheap set of legs.
John Poore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

PDX10 AUDIO LEVEL/QUALITY...Would like input!

Mathieu, Hey, I appreciate the recommendation about accessories. REALLY good reminder.

John, good point about the tripod for the DSR250. I remember seeing a big price tag on the tripod (about $3000) but thought it was a typo or worse! So, it's for real. Well, that puts the tripod outside my range...let alone the camera. So, the Z1 sounds like the one to aim for...when grant writing.

I have questions about the audio quality of the PDX10--
based on a recent entry in "Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion" forum at: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50691

Under post "Help has this happened to u," Damien Greaves asked for solutions regarding low audio with his PDX10.

"i find audio on the PDX10 to be low, recorded on the tapes even the headphone audio i have on max it is a struggle to hear..."

In answering the question, Boyd also referred Damien to other entry.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=15

After reading these posts, I'm trying to figure out if the low audio level on the PDX10 would cause problems for one of my primary uses of PDX10--interviews with lavalier microphones...connected through XLR inputs.

My impression is that the problem is primarily caused when using the supplied microphone and/or the internal microphone.

However, it sounds like the problem may be resolved when using other microphones such as a Sennheiser. This impression is based on the exchange between Ronald Ng and Spyros Sideratos at
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=30186

Ronald Ng suggested using a microphone such as Sienheiser ME-66.
In response, Spyros Sideratos said he tested the sound with a Senheiser connected through the mic input and seemed to be satisfied with the results.
(That was my impression, anyway.)

THREE QUESTIONS:

1. Can a satsifactory audio level be achieved by using microphones (other than internal and supplied microphone (ECM-NV1 Monaural Microphone)?

(While at same time trying out various audio adjustments on camera in order to determine best match for situations/microphones...in ways that Boyd described on posts in http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=15)

2. If yes...to first question...does it require the more expensive Sennheiser?
If Sennheiser not required...what others are recommended? (Shure, Sony or others) Lavalier and others.

3. SOUND METERS. Boyd mentioned using a Radio Shack digital sound level meter to monitor sound. Could that work when using lavalier mics attached to XLR adaptor box. Or are there other choices for that purpose (in similar price range)?

I'm hoping that others using the PDX10 can provide input on these concerns.

I ask the question on this forum...since problem with the audio level on PDX10 is influencing purchase choices.

THANKS!!! in advance for any input/experience.

Sandra Warshaw

"Fall down seven times, get up eight."
Japanese Proverb
Sandra Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #19
Wrangler

Sandra, you're really mixing a bunch of apples and oranges here and quoting things out of context....

1. The comments about the Radio Shack sound meter have absolutely nothing to do with a PDX-10 or any other camcorder. It was used in an attempt to properly calibrate my audio studio monitors during editing.

2. Damien's problem is strange and I still don't really understand what is going on there. But whatever it is, this is the first time I've read about anything like that.

3. The low sound levels aren't really a "problem" IMO. Comparison of high quality external mikes to the cheapo internal ones are pretty pointless. When using properly functioning external audio gear with the XLR inputs you will get excellent quality. It may be true that the levels appear a bit lower than they do on a camera like the PD-150, but I don't really think this is a problem. It's all digital, and the audio is clean, so you can easily raise the level in post if needed.

4. The issue with stereo not properly capturing on the PC is really something related to Windows and not the camera. Everything works perfectly right "out of the box" on the Mac. There are workarounds on the PC as well, and they have been thoroughly discussed here.

5. The audio on the PDX-10 has been singled out as one of its best qualities in various reviews.

Honestly, I think you've gone beyond "overthinking" this purchase. You need to jump off the fence and buy a camera.... any camera.... and then get down to work. Truth is, no camera is perfect - they all have their plusses and minuses.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #20
Major Player

I agree with Boyd, suck it up Sandy and buy a PDX-10. they're really great cameras (and im a canon fanatic).
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #21
Major Player

For the record on the dvx100a auto everything works in 24p and 30p modes, it was the old dvx100 that couldn't. But that doesn't really matter for your work I guess. My personal opinion is that even if it's just going to be on tv better film-like motion is a plus because you can always tell 60i commercials from the 24p ones and sometimes the 60i onoes look cheap.

But if I was you and I really didn't care about the motion I would get an fx1 and just get a beachtek adapter, or if I could budget for it a ZU1.

However, for what you want to do and if the pdx10 is the best you can afford I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Just to clarify the situation

hi sandra i was reading posts and came across yours

and i would like to say that i have been able to solve my problem which i realise is not the cameras fault - (it is a software / windows issue)

seemingly i am able to capture perfect audio using my avid software but certain other software i use just wont capture the audio from the PDX10 in stereo

i use professional shure mics and the audio is excellent

the only thing is i do find the audio low in my head phones (may be just me)

i have used the old betacam sp camcorders form sony also the panasonic dvc 200 and the jvc gy500 and i think the audio on the PDX10 is as good

the picture quality is also very good - i tend to do interviews and pickup shots and have never had a complaint

Low light is a problem but for me the look is acceptable - for what i do

i just want u to know that the PDX10 is a very good camera this is the 2nd one i have owned and i highly reccommend it
Damien Greaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #23
Major Player

The PD10 is a great little camera. It does better 16:9 than the 150 or 250 and as long as you have enough light and you're going to SD, the results will be as good as anything out there.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion