Where are the really cool video editing iPad apps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Wrangler

Where are the really cool video editing iPad apps?

I'm amazed by the sophistication of iPad musical app development, it's like those developers just picked up the ideas and ran with it. The musical apps are elegantly controlling complex apps like Reason, Ableton Live, Logic Pro and even DJ mixing machines. I've seen the "video editing iPad apps" lists floating around, but sophistication of the apps just doesn't compare. I just gotta wonder why we aren't seeing the same level of creativity applied to video editing?

New movements in iPad MIDI: PolyChord, FL Studio Mobile, TouchAble, Livid Block, Alesis iO | Dubspot Blog
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Where are the really cool video editing iPad apps?

I suspect we will begin to see more effort put forth in that regard, especially in view of some of the huge advances in video technology making high quality video much more mainstream. However, there is a significant stumbling block with the ipad; lack of processing power.
Serious editing needs a lot of horsepower under the hood, and unfortunately, the ipad ( and all other tablets currently available for that matter) are chugging along on the equivalent of a 4 cylinder engine.
I expect that there will be hefty boosts in processing power in the not too distant future...when you think back as little as five years ago, the sort of processing power that I have on my laptop today was hard to obtain on a high end desktop...until then, though I suspect we'll have to suffer with the reality that most of the apps are going to be pretty minimal in terms of real editing ability.
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Where are the really cool video editing iPad apps?

Wayne is entirely correct.

Video data streams are MUCH more complex and MUCH larger than audio data streams.
And while working with multiple audio tracks is workable on a limited processing power pad computer form - trying to do the same with multiple video tracks chokes things up in a hurry.

Essentially, the processing horsepower required to handle audio streams is not in the same ballpark as what is required to do video mixing.

Simple as that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion