Panasonic AJ-D900WP dvcpro 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 20th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic AJ-D900WP dvcpro 50

looking at a used one but wary of the deal because this camera was one of the first dvcpro 50 cameras. Under 500 hours. The AJsdx-900 is going for about 15 grand more used. I can't find the tech stats to do a decent comparison. Anyone familiar with the performance of the d900wp, good transport history, ect. I know this one does not have 24p but I think it has 30p. Or maybe it just shoots interlaced, dunno
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jerry,

If you are looking for one it's best to put your post in our Private Classifieds board, that's were people sell their equipment and where you can put a demand.

Good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am asking about the integrity of the camera? The basis of my inquiry comes from the fact that early panasonic professional cameras were riddled with mechanical transport problems, poor head wear and fragile boards that had to be re-capped after a few years of use. I know because I used one for shooting news for 3 years. I could not have afforded the maintenace cost or the engineering hours to keep up with the problems after 5 years of hard use. I am wondering if this particular camera had the same problems because it was one of the first pro offerings of dvcpro50. I would love to get the SDX-900 but it is about $17,000 out of my budget. I am considering the new Panasonic HVX-200 but I woudl like a professional lens. I would just use it for 4:3 dvcpro50 mostly so 24p and 16:9 HD take a back seat. Therefore the basis of my inquiry, is early DVCpro50 in the camera I have listed the same as dvcpro50 today. have the electronics changed much, the ccd's. Would I be better off buying a used dvcpro50 camera as opposed to buying a new prosumer camera, the panasonic HVX-200, they are about the same price. I think I need that pro lens so it is confusing because the affordability gap is widening in pro lens offereings. The new HDV JVC is out because of the poor reviews.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

There are only about 35 hits on Google for this camera:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...onic+AJ-D900WP

The first couple of links there will get you the user manual, which is always a good place to start for your research. You have to realize that the people who buy those kinds of video cameras tend not to discuss them online too much, presumably because they're too busy shooting and they don't have a lot to say about it.

It is what it is... an older camera whose condition will depend entirely on the particular care given to it by its previous owner(s). I'm kind of halfway when it comes to buying used gear. There are some excellent deals to be found out there sometimes, but ultimately, as fast as this industry changes, I feel it's best to buy new whenever possible.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, you are right on with your advice. I will do some more research, I could not find the manual? I was hoping a current user would tell me how great it was and that it could make a picture as pretty as the sdx-900 with the right finesse. Oh well, maybe I am just dreaming. I am torn between a new prosumer camera and a used professional one, I just can't get used to the small lenses with electronic focus. I like my Panasonic Supercam more than the pd-170? What is wrong with me??
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion