Quick Release Plate for Stabilizer - What Will Work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick Release Plate for Stabilizer - What Will Work?

Hi, I just got this old glidecam (probably 25 years old) that someone gave me and I need to get some sort of quick release plate "system" for it but I have no idea on what kind of quick release plate kit I would need. Here is a photo of it. The top portion I think is similar to the later version of the glidecams with the plate that removes and has screw holes in it that you attach your camera to, then slide that plate back on the stabilizer and then balance them both together.

Glidecam 1000 Pro

There are all kinds of various quick release plates on ebay but some seem to be only half of a kit, different sizes, too big, too small, etc.

quick release plate | eBay

If you look at the photo, the sliding plate at the top of the glidecam only has a few centimeters of space between the base plate, so the bottom part has to be thin enough to fit inside the 2 plate areas but I have no idea how to differentiate between something that will work and something that won't and I don't have money to experiment.

If anyone can help me please check out ebay or anywhere you know and if possible show me photos or links to what quick release plate kit I need (both the piece that will be permanent attaching from underneath the top plate of the stabilizer, and the piece that will then attach onto that first piece, then the 3rd piece or second piece that is permanently screwed into the camera that has some sort of switch function that would be easy to get to under a GH1 so that the camera can be easily attached and removed to the first or second piece without anything needing to be retightened after balancing every time you want to take off, put back on, take off, put back on.)

Thanks very much.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Quick Release Plate for Stabilizer - What Will Work?

I have the Glidecam 2000 model that I mounted a Manfrotto QR plate on the top. That let me move the camera from the stabilizer to the tripod without any changes. It added a little weight but no much (8 oz). It also made it VERY easy to set the balance for the tilt angle. Just loosen the plate and slide it forward or backward to set your horizon where you want it.

I put a mark across the plate and shoe with a paint pen so I knew where to set it for a perfectly horizontal tilt.

This is the one I use - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241139-REG/Manfrotto_577_577_Rapid_Connect_Adapter.html
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi, thanks for that suggestion
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A quick release setup is typically a base plate, with a 1/4" or 3/8" standard socket (or both) on the bottom, just like your camera tripod socket, with a socond plate that mates to it and mounts on your camera, again with a 1/4" standard screw. You'll want to get something with a couple sets so you can use it to mount to whatever you're using, stabilizer/tripod/monopod.

If you already have a tripod with a head, you might search that brand and see if there are compatible base plates that would match your existing equipment, thereby potentially saving a little.

Bogen (aka Manfrotto) is a common QR (or "RC" rapid connect in their parlance), the "RC2" system has a wide range of compatibility, and has a fairly fixed positioning between the two plates. The other Bogen just mentioned offers front to back sliding, which in theory could be advantageous with a zoom lens to adjust balance - there are several QR systems which use that approach.

There are lots of other brands and QR configurations around, mostly incompatible with each other, so you need to figure out what system will be best for you. I had collected a batch of Bogen RC4 based QRs, and with smaller gear decided to switch to RC2 based... it may take you a bit to figure out what's available AND best suited to your needs!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Trustee

I am Manfrotto based, so 577 is my choice, I have them on all my equipment and all cameras;
it will work great for DSLR also, rectangular shape of a base plate will keep your camera stable on a flat surface even with a longer lens,
I have it on pilot and glidecam also, it small and strong enough for many purposes.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you for the responses, I ended up getting a Giottos MH621, will see if it works or not later.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion