Digital Video Thumbnails Tool - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Digital Video Thumbnails Tool

Thanks, Mike, you're GOOD!

BTW, +1 on Ralph's suggestion re selectable number of thumbs --- the original version ROCKS as a synopsis tool for archiving, love the updates but the original with more thumbs is my favorite flavor! Thanks again for all you do!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #32
New Boot

Ralph,

I'm glad you found Movie Thumbnailer Express. Now to make it more usable, for you, Battle, and others.

The help file and an uninstall option are located under "Start > All Programs > Movie Thumbnailer Express".

I am finding that no two users would probably want the same appearance, i.e. number, size and arrangement of thumbnails. Some would also want the thumbnail to be as small in KB as possible, others wouldn't care about the file size, they would just want the highest quality.

So... I'd like to make a generic version which hopefully be suitable for most. From the current feedback I'm finding it would need to have more than two thumbnail images. I'll try 4 for now. What I've always been available to do is customize any of my tools upon request, like having the thumbnails include the artist name, in lieu of "Movie Thumbnailer Express".

It wouldn't be difficult for me to offer menus for the user to select options from, I just think that the user would be selecting the same options every time he used Movie Thumbnailer Express, so the one-click simplicity of use would be lost. Better to have a simple to use, customized tool. Also, different video codecs behave differently with Movie Thumbnailer Express, and customization is usually based upon a submitted clip for me to test on.

I'm now developing a newer version with more thumbs, that will work with most codecs.

I have to say I'm very pleased with the positive feedback. Thanks!

Mike
Mike Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hmmm.... an easy way to keep the one-click simplicity may be to simply save the last settings selected by the user. ie.. if you select 4 thumbs, it "remembers" that and offers up 4 the next time you use it. But if you change it to 2, then that becomes the new setting, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lee View Post
Ralph,

It wouldn't be difficult for me to offer menus for the user to select options from, I just think that the user would be selecting the same options every time he used Movie Thumbnailer Express, so the one-click simplicity of use would be lost. Better to have a simple to use, customized tool. Also, different video codecs behave differently with Movie Thumbnailer Express, and customization is usually based upon a submitted clip for me to test on.

Mike
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #34
New Boot

Ralph,

Good idea. I will work on this.

Do you think just offering a choice of array dimensions, e.g. 2x1, 2x2, 4x4, etc. would be satisfactory?
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I think offering the choice of array dimensions would be most excellent...
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #36
New Boot

For all of you interested - I've updated this tool to offer 3 different array (grid) sizes: 2x1, 2x2 and 2x4. You can't save your preference (for now), but I'll work on that. The new version can be installed over the old. Any troubles (which there shouldn't be), please let me know. I'd sure like to know which cameras you use this tool with, so that I can add them to the "supported cameras" list.

Movie Thumbnailer Express - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
(two versions: XP and Vista/7)

Again, many thanks for your encouragement.

Mike
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Major Player

Hi Mike
Boy this is handy as I shoot nature footage and don't always look at it for awhile. I tried it on footage shot on a Panasonic GH1 (720p60) and it works great.
Thank you.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #38
New Boot

Gordon,

Thank you for trying and using Movie Thumbnailer Express. I will consider it another success story. Thanks also for letting me know the camera.

To let you and other users know, I am always happy to customize the tool so that it would imprint your name in lieu of "Movie Thumbnailer Express - www.phototools.co.nr".

Mike
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Hey Mike... It's been a while since I've been able to check back in on this thread. Finally had a bit of free time tonight to download the new version and I must say that the changes you made are some fantastic improvements!

Thanks again for this very useful tool to help manage our media files.

Ralph
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Oh, by the way...
footage was tested from the following cams:

Sony SR42
Sony SR200
Sony SR300
Motorola Droid Phone .3GPP files

As for the caption..... is it possible to have the program check for say, a specific ini file at c:\ or something and get the name caption from that file (if it exists), if not then have it default to the name imprint of "Movie Thumbnailer Express - www.phototools.co.nr"? What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lee View Post
Gordon,

Thank you for trying and using Movie Thumbnailer Express. I will consider it another success story. Thanks also for letting me know the camera.

To let you and other users know, I am always happy to customize the tool so that it would imprint your name in lieu of "Movie Thumbnailer Express - www.phototools.co.nr".

Mike
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #41
New Boot

Ralph,

Thanks for the positive comments, you've made my day!

The portion of the stamp where "Movie Thumbnailer Express - www.phototools.co.nr" exists is rather hard wired, and offering an option there is not practical, except for my offer to customize that part for any user.

The "Modify" part of the stamping process, where the date/time/caption is stamped, could potentially be set up to always stamp a particular text. This would be convenient for a user who doesn't need or want the date or time stamped, and doesn't want to manually enter a new caption every time. In summary, the "Modify" option could always stamp the same text (caption) without user input. Would that help?

Michael
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hey Mike,

I just tried your suggestion to use the modify process, and it is a perfect solution for what I described.

This is such a cool tool to have, I can't say enough good things about it... :)

Ralph
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #43
New Boot

Ralph,

Yes, the "Modify" option is a powerful part of the thumbnailing process. Thanks again for your support of the tool.

Mike
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #44
Major Player

Mike
I have to agree with Ralph, this is a great tool.
Works with my GoPro HD Hero 720p60 footage also.
Thanks again.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #45
New Boot

I've updated Movie Thumbnailer Express to one version compatible with Windows XP, Vista or 7. There is no longer any particular need to download the XP or Vista/7 versions (although they are still available). The new version should work with all three Windows operating systems. I will update this statement to "will work" after I get some confirmation from users, as I don't have all three operating systems available to me for testing.

Movie Thumbnailer Express - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
Mike Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion