DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   "Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/501780-made-usa-label-required-sell-dvd-japan.html)

Cal Lewin October 19th, 2011 10:56 AM

"Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan?

We're preparing to sell our documentary in Japan (it was made in America). Does anyone know if Japanese law requires us to say something like "Made in US" or "Imported from US" on the DVD box label?

Thanks!
Cal

Allan Black October 19th, 2011 03:21 PM

Re: "Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan?

Cal why not put MIU on it anyway? Also include 'NTSC' on the box and the disc itself.

Cheers.

Cal Lewin October 19th, 2011 03:40 PM

Thanks Allan,

I'd like to do that, except we have already finalized the box design and there is a significant cost to revise it at this point, so I only want to change it if there is a legal requirement to have "Made in USA" on the box. Thanks!

Cal

Allan Black October 19th, 2011 04:00 PM

Ok .. read down at .. 'Marketing significance' It says 'statement' but I think I'd put it on the box, or make a separate sticker. You might find more on Google.

Made in USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers.

Cal Lewin October 19th, 2011 05:45 PM

Thanks again, Allan. I am hoping someone knows if it's required for DVDs, and the actual required wording of the label if it is required. I've tried various searches, talked with DVD manufacturers and a Japanese trade organization, but nobody seems to know. I'm beginning to think it is not required.

It's a tiny detail, but I don't want to cause a problem. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!

Chris Soucy October 19th, 2011 07:29 PM

Yes, I think. This, from the same Wikipedia article (above):

Quote:

Wikipedia, Article, "Made in USA"
Quote:

"The situation for US manufacturers who export, particularly high-tech manufacturers, is a bit more complex. Some countries, such as Japan, require country-of-origin statements when goods are imported, but US companies are prohibited from making an unqualified "Made in USA" claim unless "all or substantially all" of their product is of US origin. High tech manufacturers often cannot procure all of the needed components of their product from US sources; typically a few percent of the manufacturing cost represents components sourced from overseas, yet there is no definition of "substantially all" since the 75% guideline referred to above was withdrawn by FTC."
I'll let you guys do the math but I think you're gonna need those stickers.

CS

PS: It may well need to be in Japanese to boot. I've done the translate using Google Translate, but don't have a Japanese font on my PC, having tried posting it here on DVinfo it appears they don't have one either. Works fine on my missus Win 7 machine tho'.

Dean Sensui October 20th, 2011 12:27 PM

Best to have the translation done by an expert in the language. There are lots of subtleties in kanji. Otherwise it could turn out to be the reverse situation of "Engrish".

Engrish.com