"Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
New Boot

"Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan?

We're preparing to sell our documentary in Japan (it was made in America). Does anyone know if Japanese law requires us to say something like "Made in US" or "Imported from US" on the DVD box label?

Thanks!
Cal
Cal Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: "Made in USA" label required to sell DVD in Japan?

Cal why not put MIU on it anyway? Also include 'NTSC' on the box and the disc itself.

Cheers.
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Allan,

I'd like to do that, except we have already finalized the box design and there is a significant cost to revise it at this point, so I only want to change it if there is a legal requirement to have "Made in USA" on the box. Thanks!

Cal
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Ok .. read down at .. 'Marketing significance' It says 'statement' but I think I'd put it on the box, or make a separate sticker. You might find more on Google.

Made in USA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers.
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks again, Allan. I am hoping someone knows if it's required for DVDs, and the actual required wording of the label if it is required. I've tried various searches, talked with DVD manufacturers and a Japanese trade organization, but nobody seems to know. I'm beginning to think it is not required.

It's a tiny detail, but I don't want to cause a problem. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, I think. This, from the same Wikipedia article (above):

Quote:
Wikipedia, Article, "Made in USA"
Quote:
"The situation for US manufacturers who export, particularly high-tech manufacturers, is a bit more complex. Some countries, such as Japan, require country-of-origin statements when goods are imported, but US companies are prohibited from making an unqualified "Made in USA" claim unless "all or substantially all" of their product is of US origin. High tech manufacturers often cannot procure all of the needed components of their product from US sources; typically a few percent of the manufacturing cost represents components sourced from overseas, yet there is no definition of "substantially all" since the 75% guideline referred to above was withdrawn by FTC."
I'll let you guys do the math but I think you're gonna need those stickers.

CS

PS: It may well need to be in Japanese to boot. I've done the translate using Google Translate, but don't have a Japanese font on my PC, having tried posting it here on DVinfo it appears they don't have one either. Works fine on my missus Win 7 machine tho'.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; October 20th, 2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Best to have the translation done by an expert in the language. There are lots of subtleties in kanji. Otherwise it could turn out to be the reverse situation of "Engrish".

Engrish.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion